CafeMom is experiencing issues that should be resolved soon
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Organizational tips on cleaning routine....

Posted by   + Show Post

Want to share your tips, please, looking for help in becoming more organized each day so I don't have to do soooo much cleaning each day with three kids at home.

One thing I have learned, limit computer time!

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
stayathome510
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I actually printed both of your lists...they are so good and already made such a difference. ...such as tonight after supper, I completed did the dishes....now, I have to work on the family thing, thats for sure, but my husband is a workaholic and does chores all eve., so the kids will have to pitch in.

rosiemarie
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Thank you blestmomof3 for your to do list .
It is really helpful but my problem
Lies in the getting started and then keeping up with it. I have a horrible habit of tryin something and eventually for some reason even though it might have been working like a charm I drop it. Hum?
Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Oh my goodness, we could be twins.  I can't tell you how many new cleaning  systems and schedules I've tried and failed.  You're right, they do work like a charm but life intervenes and you don't get the list done one day.  If you are like me, I would try to back track and play catch up by not only doing the things I missed the day before but also that day's chores.  I, of course, wouldn't catch up and it would just keep snowballing until I felt like I was so far behind that I eventually gave up that cleaning system and search for something else.

Everything on my current to do list are the things that I've identified that, if they get done reasonably often then the stress level goes down for my family and I.   I don't get everything on that list done everyday.  Some days I do and some days are too busy and I can't do it all.  Like I said in my earlier post, I had a very busy day filled with running kids here and there and meeting up with another mom and our kids for lunch.  I got up, got dressed, made my bed and wiped down the mirror, sink and toilet in the bathroom, fed myself and the kids, threw some laundry in the washer and I was out the door.  I didn't have time to prep dinner or to even have the kids clean up some of the stuff they had laying around.  The breakfast dishes were still on the table.  That's real life and I had not a minute to spare to do more than that before we left.  

However, as soon as I got home after our picnic lunch with friends, I had my list to refer to to get me back on track.  I got home at 3:30 and the first thing I did was chill for a half hour or so.  I was hot and tired from running all day and needed a break.  The kids were beat too.  After that, knowing the two most important things are getting my family fed and clothed, I switched the laundry to the dryer, pulled some cooked but frozen sloppy joe mix from the freezer and popped it in the microwave on defrost and then loaded the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher and wiped off the dining table.  All this took 10-15 min.  I popped open a can of green beans, put our sandwiches together and ate dinner.  This is not a typical healthy home cooked meal that I like to serve but today was what it was.  We cleaned up the dinner dishes and I folded the laundry/put it away.   I didn't pay any bills, get some extra food prepped nor did any dusting or mopping get done.  ...and that's ok.  My list for me is a guide to help me get the most important things done.  I have a pretty low-key weekend so tomorrow I will get most of my things done.  

A couple years ago, if I read my list online and someone else wrote it, I would have tried to do everything on it through the evening so I didn't get behind and within a few weeks, I would have been burned out trying to keep up with it.  I've since learned that flexibility is important.  Make your list work around your life, not make your life work around your list.   That and remember your two most important chores-feeding your family and laundry.  If all you can do is order a pizza and do one load of wash, then the rest can wait until a less busy day.  The list is a guide not a dictator.  Hope that helps!

Quoting rosiemarie:

Lies in the getting started and then keeping up with it. I have a horrible habit of tryin something and eventually for some reason even though it might have been working like a charm I drop it. Hum?

Bout-that-life
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Love this!!

Quoting Blestmomof3:

Get dressed first thing everyday and make your bed.

Wipe down your bathroom.sink and toilet after you get dressed.

After breakfast, put your maids to work.  I think of my household appliances as my maids.  If you need to do laundry, get it started.  If your dishwasher is full, turn it on.  If you have a bread maker and are planning on using it, start it now.  Are you using your oven for dinner? Get your meatloaf, dessert, casserole,or chicken etc in there now.  Need fresh coffee? Make it now.  Making iced tea, boil your water now.   Get your crockpot going now, if needed.  I always feel more productive when my appliances are  humming along and I'm free it do other things while they are working for me.  

Your two most important chores are making sure everyone is fed and clothed.  These are the two biggest stress causers if they are not done so it's best to get this done in the morning.  Chop your veggies, measure spices, brown meat for dinner right after you eat breakfast then you can do these dishes along with your breakfast dishes and you will have less to do after supper.  You will also be more likely to not be too tired to cook and order a pizza if the main chopping and measuring is done and you can just throw the recipe together.  

After this, you can switch your laundry.  Always fold each load as it comes out of the dryer and put everything away as soon as you are done washing for the day.  It causes more stress to hunt through piles of unfolded laundry or laundry sitting in baskets than it does to take 5 min to put away.  When you load your basket, group each persons clothes together so you can take the basket from room to room and put stuff away instead of running back and forth if it's put in randomly.

If you have the room, buy three laundry hampers instead of one.  Teach your family to put whites in one, colors in another and towels/socks/underwear in the other so all you have to do is pick up the fullest one to wash each day and you eliminate the sorting job.

When you cook, try doubling the recipe so you can eat leftovers the next day or can freeze a meal for when you are short on time.  Chopping an onion? Chop an extra one and freeze it for later.  Browning a lb of ground beef? Brown two pounds and freeze the other pound for another meal.  Have a recipe that uses several spices and you cook it often? Measure out several portions of the spices and mix them together in a plastic container, label it with the name of the recipe and it's done for the next several times you make it.

Always clean out your microwave and toaster/toaster oven as soon as you use them.  It takes seconds and you will never have to do a big cleaning and try to pry dried on food off the surfaces again.

Schedule yourself two 15 min breaks and a full lunch hour to do what you want everyday so you don't feel like you are cleaning all the time and you won't feel guilty for sitting down.  

Limit your time to one hour of cleaning a day (dusting, vacuuming, windexing, mopping etc) and your home will stay reasonably clean.

Have your kids take 10 min to pick up their toys  right after each meal so you keep the chaos at bay.  By doing it at this time, they haven't gotten themselves into something else so they will be easier to coax into doing it.  

Clean up a meal as soon as it's finished and clean as you go when cooking so you don't have an overwhelming pile that you keep avoiding because you're too tired.

Lay out everyone's clothes the night before and thaw whatever meat you need for the next day so you can get to it in the morning.

Make dinner clean up a family affair and tidy every room before you go to bed so you don't start the next day behind.

One last thing, if you have three kids as I do, it really is a never ending job and you will always feel like you are cleaning!  I've tried for years to find a way to organize so the cleaning can be done quickly and then I can be free but I've never found it.  The reality is that there is always something that needs done and your best bet is to start early in the day and keep on top of the wave or you will drown....lol

chicksdigscars
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I make sure to do at least one load of laundry a day (that includes taking it out of the dryer, folding & putting it away!) ....if I follow that then laundry doesn't get piled up.

Another big one is keeping my sink clean at all times. It really helps my kitchen stay clean & then flows into the other rooms to keep them tidy ; )

rosiemarie
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM
You said a really key note for me....running...

I always feel like I'm running and never am home long enough to be productive. I stopped going to the gym to my one hour class cause I felt like it kept me out of the house to long with the drive thee the class and the drive back I felt like as soon as I for home I was foif to have to get the kiddies from school. They get out at 2:15

Quoting Blestmomof3:

Oh my goodness, we could be twins.  I can't tell you how many new cleaning  systems and schedules I've tried and failed.  You're right, they do work like a charm but life intervenes and you don't get the list done one day.  If you are like me, I would try to back track and play catch up by not only doing the things I missed the day before but also that day's chores.  I, of course, wouldn't catch up and it would just keep snowballing until I felt like I was so far behind that I eventually gave up that cleaning system and search for something else.

Everything on my current to do list are the things that I've identified that, if they get done reasonably often then the stress level goes down for my family and I.   I don't get everything on that list done everyday.  Some days I do and some days are too busy and I can't do it all.  Like I said in my earlier post, I had a very busy day filled with running kids here and there and meeting up with another mom and our kids for lunch.  I got up, got dressed, made my bed and wiped down the mirror, sink and toilet in the bathroom, fed myself and the kids, threw some laundry in the washer and I was out the door.  I didn't have time to prep dinner or to even have the kids clean up some of the stuff they had laying around.  The breakfast dishes were still on the table.  That's real life and I had not a minute to spare to do more than that before we left.  

However, as soon as I got home after our picnic lunch with friends, I had my list to refer to to get me back on track.  I got home at 3:30 and the first thing I did was chill for a half hour or so.  I was hot and tired from running all day and needed a break.  The kids were beat too.  After that, knowing the two most important things are getting my family fed and clothed, I switched the laundry to the dryer, pulled some cooked but frozen sloppy joe mix from the freezer and popped it in the microwave on defrost and then loaded the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher and wiped off the dining table.  All this took 10-15 min.  I popped open a can of green beans, put our sandwiches together and ate dinner.  This is not a typical healthy home cooked meal that I like to serve but today was what it was.  We cleaned up the dinner dishes and I folded the laundry/put it away.   I didn't pay any bills, get some extra food prepped nor did any dusting or mopping get done.  ...and that's ok.  My list for me is a guide to help me get the most important things done.  I have a pretty low-key weekend so tomorrow I will get most of my things done.  

A couple years ago, if I read my list online and someone else wrote it, I would have tried to do everything on it through the evening so I didn't get behind and within a few weeks, I would have been burned out trying to keep up with it.  I've since learned that flexibility is important.  Make your list work around your life, not make your life work around your list.   That and remember your two most important chores-feeding your family and laundry.  If all you can do is order a pizza and do one load of wash, then the rest can wait until a less busy day.  The list is a guide not a dictator.  Hope that helps!

Quoting rosiemarie:

Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm right there with you on the exercise thing.  I have not yet figured out how to fit that in and keep up with the house.  There are so many detailed chores we have to do that anytime I've tried to fit in exercise, something else suffers.  I haven't been kid free at home for 13 years.  My youngest is 3 and before she was born and my two oldest were in school, I babysat full time.  In the fall of 2014, youngest will start kindergarten and now I only babysit for before and after school care so I'm looking forward to trying again to fit in exercise on a regular basis.

In the past I've tried getting up at 5 am but I am so not a morning person so that fell by the wayside.  That's a terrible excuse, I know, but as a night owl I'm always up late doing things and I have a hard time falling asleep before midnight.  I tried limiting myself to 1/2 hour sessions with a DVD after the older two left for school but my youngest always had a tendency to interrupt a lot or lay on the floor under my feet.  I hate to say it but I've given up on formal exercise until my 3yo is in school full time.

Right now I try to be mindful and fit some exercise in with my regular chores.  I try not to be sedentary except during the two 15 min breaks and the lunch hour.   I keep moving.  When I'm going up steps, I sprint to the top.  I do arm curls when I carry the laundry from room to room.  I do squats when I empty the dishwasher.  It's an exaggeration of how deep I have to squat to reach for the things on the bottom drawer but at least it's something.

I used to get panicky when it was time to get the kids from school because I felt like everything had to be done by 3 when they get home.  I'm a little better now since I've accepted that my work is always ongoing and that while it gets done a lot slower after they get home from school, as long as dinner is prepped in the morning and doesn't have to be started until 4:45, I can still get some quick things done, in between helping with homework and such.  I can sit down at the table or nearby computer to deal with the mail and pay the one or two bills that have come in while they do homework and get notes read and papers signed that they have for me. I can make sure they have a snack and don't need me for homework help and can take 10 min to dust and vacuum a room that needs it or to put away the laundry. Some days they seem extra needy and I can't do anything else.  I just roll with it and try again tomorrow.

Quoting rosiemarie:

You said a really key note for me....running...

I always feel like I'm running and never am home long enough to be productive. I stopped going to the gym to my one hour class cause I felt like it kept me out of the house to long with the drive thee the class and the drive back I felt like as soon as I for home I was foif to have to get the kiddies from school. They get out at 2:15

Quoting Blestmomof3:

Quoting rosiemarie:

Hottmomma607
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bump

amandac4s
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I have a question when you say limit the house work to 15 mins is that for everything or each chore. Because it takes me 30 mins to do the kitchen thoroughly.
Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I actually said to limit yourself to 1 hour but I've been known to only have time for 15 min on a busy day.   What I mean by that is the house cleaning stuff  that is in addition to making meals, cleaning up dishes, doing laundry, paying bills, grocery shopping etc. 

I've found that after you do all the above stuff there really isn't much more than an hour to do actual cleaning chores such as dusting, cleaning glass, vacuuming, mopping, and deeper cleaning such as cleaning out closets and drawers, washing windows and curtains etc.  I try to commit to actual house cleaning for 1 hour sometime between the end of my lunch hour and the kids coming home from school.  Now that it's summer, it may only be 15-30 min a day, or sometimes not at all. 

I do one room/area of the house a day except Sunday.   For instance, I clean the kitchen on Mondays.  I will first clean my large appliances.  I will give the stove top, drip pans, front and side of oven a good wipe down.  Then the dishwasher.   Since I finish up the grocery list I already started that hangs on the side of my frige on Mondays, I will clean out the frige too and by doing this I will notice if I'm running low on stuff and I will write it on the list.   Here's how I approach cleaning the fridge.  I look through each shelf to see if anything needs thrown away.  I rinse out the containers from this and wash them or load them in the dishwasher.  I next remove everything from the top shelf of the frige.  It seems to be the one that gets the messiest in my house and it gets deep cleaned weekly. Yours may be different.  I wipe down the shelf and the bottoms of the containers before I put them back in.  I then rotate one other shelf or the condiment holders in the door or the freezer.  Last week I cleaned the middle shelf so this week I will clean the bottom shelf.  The week after that I will do the fruit and veggie drawers etc.  The other shelves that don't get a deep clean just get a quick wipe with the rag around the things on the shelf.  I don't have the time to unload the whole frige and clean it every week.  By rotating the shelves for a good cleaning, my fridge stays reasonably clean. 

I don't have to clean my smaller appliances like the microwave and toaster oven because I wipe them out after each time they are used.  After the big appliances are done, I will do a quick check of the walls and door for fingerprints and dirt from the kids touching them and wipe that down, windex the windows, give the cabinet fronts a quick wipe down and vacuum the floor.   

I check my time, and if I have about 20-25 min left I will spend 5-15 min doing a deep cleaning chore.  I will clean out a particually messy cabinet or just a shelf in a cabinet,  take down the curtains and throw them in the wash or give one of my three windows a really good wash inside and out etc.  After that, I will mop the floor and be done.  Sometimes, I get so into what I'm doing that I will go another 1/2 hr.  Sometimes I'm busy or tired and stop after wiping down the appliances.  By doing something every Monday in this room, it stays reasonably clean and the rest of the week, I will just maintain it.

I hope that makes it more clear when I said to "limit" your time cleaning.

Quoting amandac4s:

I have a question when you say limit the house work to 15 mins is that for everything or each chore. Because it takes me 30 mins to do the kitchen thoroughly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN