Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Help! How do I clean this?!?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mobile Photo

My microwave is above my stove. The exhaust fan is basically blowing right back into my kitchen. I have struggled forever with cleaning the microwave vent and my cupboard above. It is not a nice wood so using orange cleaner does not help. Magic erasers do not help. Any ideas?!?
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommathea
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Try some HOT water about 2quarts and add about 1/4c ammonia. Don't breath it in. But it works so well
Allmykids38
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Quoting mommathea:

Try some HOT water about 2quarts and add about 1/4c ammonia. Don't breath it in. But it works so well

I haven't tried ammonia. I've tried bleach. I've tried vinegar and baking soda. I've tried Goo Off. I've used magic erasers and toothbrushes to clean in the vents. This of course is with removing the vent completely. Just really tired of the gross scum. :-(

jsbuck
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I made a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol and Dawn dishsoap - and that stuff takes the grease off of everything LOL.  I discovered this purely by accident.  I had ants in my kitchen and found this recipe to kill the ants.  I noticed while battling the ants that it made everything in my kitchen sparkle :).

In a spray bottle combine 12oz water, 12oz alcohol and 6oz Dawn, shake to mix well.

Allmykids38
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I will try! Thanks!

Quoting jsbuck:

I made a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol and Dawn dishsoap - and that stuff takes the grease off of everything LOL.  I discovered this purely by accident.  I had ants in my kitchen and found this recipe to kill the ants.  I noticed while battling the ants that it made everything in my kitchen sparkle :).

In a spray bottle combine 12oz water, 12oz alcohol and 6oz Dawn, shake to mix well.

NatesMyBoy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Maybe damp soapy sponge, pat it into some baking soda and scrub gently.

Allmykids38
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Already tried baking soda. Did not work ad actually made a bit worse. :-(

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

Maybe damp soapy sponge, pat it into some baking soda and scrub gently.

Allmykids38
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I wanted to add that I made a homemade stain remover for clothes from dawn dish soap and peroxide that is amazing! It is one part dawn and three parts peroxide. Removes oily spots after in the dryer!!!! So I am really excited about trying this one.

Quoting jsbuck:

redi4change
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Thanks OP for your post. I have the same problem!

devinsmom42
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I would try dish washing liquid...thats what gets mine ckean. I put it on a rag or sponge then put it on the microwave or wherever and ket rhat sit fir abiut 15 mins then get a wet rag and clwan it off really good
devinsmom42
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Also have yoi tried pinesol? I swear that stuff gets everything out!! It works so much better then bleach or anything else for me....for tough jobs and really stuck on stuff I onky dikute the pinesol with a very little amoint of water and mostly pinesol and it gets it right off. Ive had it take the paint off of stuff when I wasn't even trying to lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)