Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning pillows....

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

Well, I have had no luck in the past washing them....some are used only when my adult children do a stay over visit occasionally, so hardly used, but want to clean....any suggestions?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondepegasus
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I have always just washed them in the washing machine and dried in the dryer to fluff and never had a problem. What do you mean "no luck?" Were there stains that didn't come out?

redheadstar
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

As long as they are not too bulky or big, I throw em in the washer!

casah4
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I too just throw them in the washer and dryer. Never had any problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stayathome510
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I hope this works, my computer is acting up and all I see in this box is jibberish....I would go throw them in the wash right now, but I don't want to ruin them...what type of pillows are you all talking about? I am talking about a cheaper type of pillow, maybe thats why I have trouble. They got all bunched up and after drying no longer a firm shape to put back in their case....any suggestions?

stayathome510
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "wool ball" can you let me know?
Quoting Caitlin411:

I just throw them in the washer and then in the dryer with wool balls. Never had an issue.
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM
They're just balls made out of wool. They fluff things in the dryer. Growing up my mom used tennis balls so that things wouldn't get bunched up (like coats, pillows and comforters).

Quoting stayathome510:

I'm not sure what you mean by "wool ball" can you let me know?
Quoting Caitlin411:

I just throw them in the washer and then in the dryer with wool balls. Never had an issue.
NatesMyBoy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I think I know what your trouble is you are having... my nicer pillows come out fine but my cheapies are filled with a kind of thick batting.  It gets all twisted around in the case.  I have opened them up and just quickly sewn them up. 

stayathome510
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Bingo!!! Thanks, I just washed two pillows, one of little more expensive than the other and the cheaper did as you explained, it was all twisted and balled up in areas....I will not buy those cheaper ones anymore.
Quoting NatesMyBoy:

I think I know what your trouble is you are having... my nicer pillows come out fine but my cheapies are filled with a kind of thick batting.  It gets all twisted around in the case.  I have opened them up and just quickly sewn them up. 

devinsmom42
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM
If you want to wash the cheap ones withour them being messed up then I woikd do them in the bathtub. Just fill it with really hot water and add washing detergent... swish them around and let them soak a few hours. Rinse them really well after then lay them outside or inside sonewhere to dry. Ive done it plenty of times bc of the pillows getting bunched uo in the washer
stayathome510
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Ok, I have plenty of those around, so will try, thanks!

Quoting devinsmom42:

If you want to wash the cheap ones withour them being messed up then I woikd do them in the bathtub. Just fill it with really hot water and add washing detergent... swish them around and let them soak a few hours. Rinse them really well after then lay them outside or inside sonewhere to dry. Ive done it plenty of times bc of the pillows getting bunched uo in the washer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)