Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

How Do I Get Rid of Fruit Flies?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi there:) Does anybody know how I can get rid of fruit flies for,good other than throwing out every single piece of fruit I have? I like to keep a fresh fruit bowl displayed on the counter for easy access, but I've been dealing with tons of fruit flies. I don't want to keep all of the fresh fruit I have in the refrigerator all the time. Please help! Thanks:)

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NatesMyBoy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this
I suggest placing it in the fridge until your ff are gone. Pour boiling water down your drains, and set a trap out with vinegar (apple cider is best) and cover with plastic wrap with a small hole poke in it. You can also make a paper funnel and tape it to the jar.
devinsmom42
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Like the pp said put some apple cider vinegar in a container and add dish washing liquid to it....put some holes in it and they will go in anf not be able to get out. I hate fruit flies and they shoukdnt b called that. They shoukd be called everything flies cuz they still come when theres no fruit lmao. I did that when I had them tho and they were gone by rhe nexr day . There was a bunch of them too
prego_jessi
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting NatesMyBoy:

I suggest placing it in the fridge until your ff are gone. Pour boiling water down your drains, and set a trap out with vinegar (apple cider is best) and cover with plastic wrap with a small hole poke in it. You can also make a paper funnel and tape it to the jar.

This, it sooooo works! We had them really bad and I set out vinager traps and there aren't very many left!
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I keep the fruit in the fridge.  But I use windex to kill the inlaws (Flys).  Also I put boiling soapy water down the drain to clean it out. 

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Why do they come from the drain???

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

I keep the fruit in the fridge.  But I use windex to kill the inlaws (Flys).  Also I put boiling soapy water down the drain to clean it out. 

redi4change
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I wasn't really sure what to do so I tried this: I took a piece of cut up apple, put it in a plastic grocery bag and tied a knot so there was just enough of a hole in it so the fruit flies could get in the bag to the fruit. I wasn't sure if this was going to work or not. I put the bag on my counter where I saw most of the fruit flies. I did this before I went to bed and in the morning, I didn't see any fruit flies! I took the bag filled with fruit flies outside right away and threw it in the waste container just to be sure they were out of my house. I have some apples on my counter and haven't seen any fruit flies yet:) I'm definitely going to have to try the apple cider vinegar though. Thanks gals!

newwifenmom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The apple cider vinegar trap worked for us.

JTE11
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I agree with PP, I put a bowl of apple cider vinegar out, to which I had added a few drops of dish soap and mixed it in. The next morning the bowl was full of dead fruit flies.  You could just keep putting a bowl out every night until you don't see flies anymore. Once they are gone you may have to occasionally redo it, if the fruit you buy brings them in. You can also get a mesh bowl cover to keep them from bing able to breed and lay new eggs on your fruit.

joluvdolphins
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM

They lay their eggs in your sink drain (told to me by an exterminator)

Quoting rosiemarie:

Why do they come from the drain???

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

mellyfury
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

clean the area with lemon water 
4 lemons 1/2 gallon water
it works for all bugs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)