Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning a sink drain

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 1/5 bath sink is connected to the drain for my washer. When my washer drains, it backs water up into my sink. The water is gross. It looks and smells like sewer water. My bathroom always stinks and I assume its because of the drain. What can I use to clean the drain? I have dumped bleach down it, but it didn't help. Also, the stopper doesn't really plug the sink, so anything that would foam back up or that I would need to plug to keep it from foaming up (I've heard baking soda can) I can't use. Or so I have been told. I live in an apartment and have complained to the office about this, but they refuse to do anything. This complex is horrible! I told them my front window was leaking (bad!) and was told to go to home depot and get caulk and do it myself. If I wanted to I could submit the receipt for possible reimbursement. So, any ideas?!TIA

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CheyJacksMom
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I want to say try drain-o or try and snake it but I think it has something to do with the way its hooked up. I'm sorry I can't help more. I can't imagine living with that kind of smell. Yuck! And your Supers should fix those things not you. I'm sure if you do some research you can do something legally about that.
momager2two
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Thanks! It's been horrible living here. We are actually in a townhouse, but its owned and managed by an apartment complex. They have some apts and townhomes. We like the townhome, even though its like 40+ years old and needs some serious updating, and the area is great. It's in a great school district. But the management sucks. We have the office staff (who is beyond rude), then corporate who is 4 hours south of here, then the actual owner who lives in Isreal. They have painted the bldg across from me 6 times. Each time, they waste the money for the painters, supplies and then having corp come up to take pics to send to the owners. I don't get it. There are websites specifically designed where you upload a picture and you can make it whatever color you want! Yet they tell me they "don't have the budget" to replace my front door. I was told by a corp contract maintenance worker that it would be $300 total. And they tell me no. My door doesn't close properly. I have to slam it, so I am constantly apologizing to my neighbors about it. It is just horrible! And I have a feeling you are right, that it has more to do with the set up of the lines then anything else. Which really sucks because I am so over that smell!

Quoting CheyJacksMom:

I want to say try drain-o or try and snake it but I think it has something to do with the way its hooked up. I'm sorry I can't help more. I can't imagine living with that kind of smell. Yuck! And your Supers should fix those things not you. I'm sure if you do some research you can do something legally about that.

rosboro5
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Have you tried baking soda and vinegar? I use it whenever my drains get to draining slow and it usually works. And it is much safer than drain I which can harm the lines. I only use drain o in severe cases when nothing else works
mom2four1978
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I use baking soda and hot vinegar with a few drops of dawn in it. What I do is on the day I run vinegar through my coffee pot to clean it I put baking soda in the drains and then after the vinegar has cleaned the coffee pot I put a few drops of blue dawn in the decanter with it and swirl it around. Then dump the vinegar on top of the baking soda and let it sit and foam a few minutes and rinse it down. The dawn is an added step but it is supposed to break down grease and help get rid of smells.

After you do this use white vinegar in your rinse cycle every wash. It will kill bacteria in the wash and help get rid of smell in the future. Also using liquid fabric softener can coat the pipe and hold on to nasty stuff that will smell.

You may also want to take the hose that drains from the washer out of whatever pipe it drains into and give that drain pipe this treatment as well.

decor42
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I believe it may have to do with the actual plumbing. I would try Draino and follow the directios.  That would mean that you would not be able o wash for atlast 24 hours.  The Draino would be poured down the sink drain and allowed to do its job.  Since you live in a complex I would guess that management would be responsible for things such as this.  Is there a complex committee? A group of tenants that represent the well being of all of the complex tenants?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)