Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Kitchen

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 13 Replies
I live in a two bedroom apartment with my husband and 2 kids. It is big enough for us except for the kitchen. It feels like my table and counters always have food or kitchen supplies on them because of lack of storage space. Any tips on better organizing my kitchen? I hate stuff sitting out all of them time. And I don't want to get rid of anything because I do use 95% of what I have on a regular basis.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmoen1977
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

If its small appliances are there ones that come in a compact option or multiple uses in one?  What about adding wire shelves to cabinets to make more space.  Can you add a small cabinet for these things maybe one that could be under the table or raise the table and create a island with storage in the middle and seating around it.

can storage for more space use magazine racks and put the cans in on their sides. Start thinking outside of the box for ideas.

momager2two
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
We have a china cabinet that i keep a ton of stuff in. I keep my good dishes (service of 12) plus pans/baking dishes that i dont use often but enough to not get rid of. If you cant do something big like that, we took ours from mil who got it from her mother, try a bakers rack. When mil and fil got divorced she didnt have the space for the china cabinet so she gave it to us and got a bakers rack. Works great for her and holds a ton of stuff.
chicksdigscars
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

That sounds like my house! What appliance do you have out? I don't leave anything out on the counter bc it looks WAY to crowded but my microwave. We do have a double sink which is nice so in one of them I put my dryer rack in for the dishes.

Can you use the top of the fridge for any room? Or put shelves in?

elephantsin1
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I live in a single story apartment. I have a small kitchen and dining room, living room, 2 bedrooms, and a bathroom so I have a limited amount of room. I have 4 double closets-2 in the hall and 2 in the bedrooms. The ones in the hall already has some of my less used kitchen stuff. As far as cupboards, I have one under the sink (single sink)-that has cleaning supplies and is locked so the kiddos can't get in it. I have one cupboard for canned food, cereal and snacks; one for spices and other things for cooking/baking, and one for the foods I can't keep in the canned food cupboard (all my glass bottles, etc). On top of the fridge has some things on top of it as does the cupboard above the fridge. Also have one for pots and pans.

Appliances I have out-microwave, coffee maker (which is getting put away), keurig coffee maker, toaster, turntable with all my cooking utensils in it, canisters with sugar and flour, papertowels, scale. These are all out because there is no room to go in cupboards or closets.

Quoting chicksdigscars:

That sounds like my house! What appliance do you have out? I don't leave anything out on the counter bc it looks WAY to crowded but my microwave. We do have a double sink which is nice so in one of them I put my dryer rack in for the dishes.

sunshinepraying
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Sounds like mine as well, except I'm in a 2-bedroom condo. The only appliances I keep out is the mixer thing (since it's too heavy to take out and put away each time I use it), and the toaster since its used so often. I have to store thing we don't use as much in the outdoor closet on the balcony because I have no room for it otherwise.

Quoting chicksdigscars:

sunshinepraying
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Is there a way to put your paper towels so they are hanging on the wall? That's one of the thugs I do to help make more counter space. I also bought a spice rack that goes on the wall, too.

Quoting elephantsin1:

I live in a single story apartment. I have a small kitchen and dining room, living room, 2 bedrooms, and a bathroom so I have a limited amount of room. I have 4 double closets-2 in the hall and 2 in the bedrooms. The ones in the hall already has some of my less used kitchen stuff. As far as cupboards, I have one under the sink (single sink)-that has cleaning supplies and is locked so the kiddos can't get in it. I have one cupboard for canned food, cereal and snacks; one for spices and other things for cooking/baking, and one for the foods I can't keep in the canned food cupboard (all my glass bottles, etc). On top of the fridge has some things on top of it as does the cupboard above the fridge. Also have one for pots and pans.

Appliances I have out-microwave, coffee maker (which is getting put away), keurig coffee maker, toaster, turntable with all my cooking utensils in it, canisters with sugar and flour, papertowels, scale. These are all out because there is no room to go in cupboards or closets.

Quoting chicksdigscars:

elephantsin1
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I will have to look into getting those.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Is there a way to put your paper towels so they are hanging on the wall? That's one of the thugs I do to help make more counter space. I also bought a spice rack that goes on the wall, too.

Quoting elephantsin1:

Quoting chicksdigscars:

elephantsin1
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM

So this is my kitchen after I cleaned and re-organized it. I still think it may be too cluttered. What do you think.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM

If you don't have cabinets, drawers, or closets for the stuff, get plastic bins that store on top of each other.  Or a small storage cabinet, if you have room in the kitchen for one. At one time I had a moveable island- it had a drawer as well as cabinets and a shelf underneath and on the ends, and if I needed the space, I could move it.

1frog
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I have a small kitchen also, about 6 steps to cross, and standing in the middle, can touch both counters at once. It has it's challenges, but I've learned to love it. Keeping it organized and making sure everything is put back where it belongs all the time is a must to keep counters pretty. Glasses are stored above dishwasher, and plates directly across from that. Plastic bowls, and serving ones are closest to dining room. Towels in drawer closest to sink, cleaning supplies, under sink. You get the idea, organize it so you have things where you need them and when you need them. Saves a great deal of time. My cupboards go almost to ceiling, giving my more storage that way. I have 3/4 pantry with a cupboard above it, underneath is for the kitty food. If you can, you might want to get some of those wire baskets for storage that either slide in and out or attach to a door, lazy susans work well also. But be cautious, you may find they take up more space than they are worth. Maybe something in another room, an unused bureau, etc. can store things you don't use very often, thus clearing up space. I've found it important to make sure I only keep what I use and what works for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)