Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Carpet Smell

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

We formerly had 3 dogs in our house who like to pee on our upstairs hallway carpet.  It's so old and warn out and eventually will be replaced.  But for the time being, I have to deal with it.  I have tried shampooing it, doing baking soda...and I still just smell the ammonia!  It's awful.  Any suggestions?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jdy9440
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

We had to remove ours after house training.  Nothing worked...

AEB_MRB
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Nothing that can help you now but after you take out the carpet use an oil based paint on the floor before you put the new stuff down. The smell will seep out of the wood and smell up your new carpet as well if you don't paint the floor.

BNC1100
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I am sure I will probably get yelled at for this one but I used to live in a house with 3 dogs and however many cats we had at the time (I dont even remember) There was that burber carpet in the living room and it was crappy carpet anyway but I was  steam cleaning it seemed like every week. Constant spills, animals messing it up and getting it filthy, and I had the babies on it hence why I was cleaning it so often. I am also cheap and cant afford half of that carpet cleaning stuff or whatever else but I had always used a mixture of tide laundry soap and a little bit of bleach to kill bacteria it worked pretty good for me and it didnt ruin the carpet ofcourse it was a whiteish color anyways. But if your carpet is worn out and your going to replace it anyways, that may help. The tide makes your carpet smell good and the bleach will kill the germs but I would also consider instead of the bleach maybe mixing an enzyme killer in , that stuff you can get at the petstore.

mommathea
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

be VERY careful with what you mix in your carpet cleaner.  

I had vinegar in mine, and my mom borrowed it and put carpet cleaner it.  It had a weird chemical reaction and the soap turned into a sticky gooy type glue.  

JTE11
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You can try Nature's Miracle, they sell it in small containers but also sell it by the gallon and it has enzymes that eat the stains and odors. I find it at pet stores and it's always completely taken care of any messes the cats have made. I've never tried it on dog messes but if you're going to trash the carpet eventually you have nothing to lose by using it now, even if it does something to the color of the carpet (which it never did to mine) all you stand to lose is the odor. I love the stuff, I recommend it to everyone and anyone, and I think it might be helpful getting dog odors out for you, too.

jenocide13
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Vinegar has always worked for me and my dog slash kid pee carpets!
lynda0322
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Spray alot of vinegar. Once it is completely dried spray with febreeze or I use fabric softener.

SandyBranan
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Hi brehmmom. Everyone faces the problem of various stains on rugs and i found this guide that really helps to remove any stains on rugs check this out Tips to remove stains from rugs.

MammaKoi
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll be keeping a eye on this post cause we had the issues of the previous tenants kids peeing on the carpet as well as the dog they were NOT suppose to have. I don't have issues with pets but potty training is required in my eyes.

gmoen1977
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

honesty unless gone and paint the sub floor with kiltz your not going to get rid of the smell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN