Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Started to clean the couch......Edit* Finished

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

Like a really good deep clean. At the end of the day, we just need a new one, but until we can save up and afford one, I'm cleaning this one. It's a fairly nice couch. Got it for $25 at a thrift store and cleaned it when I got it.
Since then though (had it about 2 & 1/2 years now) I've only vacuumed and spot treated big stains. It's a dark charcoal grey and fortunately, most toddler stains blend right in.
But today it was on my list to get the overhaul. I'm doing one cushion at a time. I took the cover off, baking soda'd and vacuumed the foam and soaked the cover in the tub with cold water only.
Here's the GROSS part :P
The water turned a murky greenish brown.
I know at least that the green part is marker because the past two weeks, I've had a little 2-year-old hulk every time she feels like coloring. I don't mind that she colors on herself, she thinks it's neat and it washes right off. I guess though it's been rubbing onto the couch :/ I could see the color cloud seep out in one small section of the water lol
But the brown part? That's just.....yeah.
I threw some baking soda in the water, agitated it for a bit, then drained and rinsed. It's currently drying for a day or two out back. Our couch is two sided, so we're just sitting on the other side until it's dry, then that side gets the treatment too.
Anyway, that was my cleaning ewww of the day lol
Update:
I put everything back on the couch and of course, ice cream was dropped on it almost immediately lol.
But the rest of it looks so fantastic. I think next time, I may just go ahead and wash in the washer on the delicate cycle on cold and then hang dry again.
Getting the upholstery back on actually fortunately wasn't too difficult. No more than putting a pillowcase back on a pillow (my most hated part after washing bedding lol)

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bmat
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Yike!  Good luck with the cleaning. :)

jakana2369
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! Thats a big job. Makes me want to but not clean mine.
Bmat
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

How is the cleaning going?

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Ya gotta be careful with washing upholstery like that.  I would put it back on while it's still slightly damp so if it's gonna shrink at least you'll have the seat back in and zipped up.

Bmat
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad to hear that you were able to clean the upholstery. Did you spray with a stain repellent spray? This might keep the ice cream from staining. :)

decor42
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I have to agree. Most upholstery fabric is not pre washed and will most likely shrink. The only problem putting the cover back on when damp is that it can be a bit of a struggle but so worth it. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Ya gotta be careful with washing upholstery like that.  I would put it back on while it's still slightly damp so if it's gonna shrink at least you'll have the seat back in and zipped up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)