Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Diaper Genie STINKS!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

OK, my DS's Diaper Genie stinks to high heaven whenever I throw a diaper away. I'm not talking about the plastic liner, but the inside. I get rid of the soiled diapers once its full and I clean it and use a Febreeze Odor Neutralizer, but it doesn't do anything to get rid of the smell. Any ideas of what I can do? I thought of buy Poo-Pouri...yes it's a REAL product. watch it on youtube.com

Poo-Pouri: Girls Don't Poop: http://youtu.be/ZKLnhuzh9uY#aid=PsDGrfMvF4

Many thanx!

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but those things stink no matter what you do to them. I can always smell them in every house I've ever been in but don't have the heart to tell people the truth. 

When we did disposables I dumped the poo in the toilet and then threw the diapers outside in the big garbage cans. Diapers were never allowed to sit in the house. 

gmadiane
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM

my kids were little in a time of no diaper genie, just dump in the potty and out to the trash it went

JTE11
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I take mine out twice per week. They don't usually stink unless I have the lid open while I'm throwing a diaper away but I bought some little Arm and Hammer things that are about two inches across that are filled with scented (like lavender) baking soda and they soak up a lot of the extraneous odor.

wife-4-life
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM
I empty mine 2xs a week cuz I've got two kids in diapers. I used to have an issue with smell. I've cleaned the inside with baking soda and I made a scented baking soda sprinkle. I sprinkle some in after each poopy diaper that goes in. Now, the only time I've had an issue with stink is when the lid gets cracked open a bit. I've also placed a dryer sheet at the very bottom and I let the bucket "air out" outside like once a month.
girlfriendcj70
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My girlfriend uses them. Yes, they are always going to stink. I never used a genie

decor42
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I personally feel that they smell regardless. Used one for about 2 months and put it out to the curb. I think the problem is with them being plastic the odor sets in to that.

Crafty8852
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I haven't had a diaper genie in 10 years lol, but I do remember the smell that the plastic absorbed and couldn't get rid of. I kept ours on the back porch and used baking soda as an odor absorber. So glad I don't have to deal with the diapers anymore lol.

Emma0928
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I use the Arm & Hammer diaper pail. I've never had a problem with it so far....maybe get a new one.
SnowWhieQueen
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

those things always stink..i had on for my first,and it just wasn't worth it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)