Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so over cleaning!!!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 10 Replies
I live in a6 bedroom house with my for kids, my mom and dad, and my brother and his wife. My kids are 17,16,11,2. I dont work due to having two children with special needs they are high functioning but still and because my parents are not able to100%care for their needs. I guess because I dont leave the house for work I am expected to clean up after everyone. I am talKing I am the only one that had cleaned the bathroom I am the only one that had swiped and moped the house and only3 times had my brothers wife did dishes. We all moved in together a month ago so it really hasn't been that long and I am over it
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjgm1966
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Wow. Is this a long term arrangement with your brother and sil?

decor42
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

WOW!!! You certainly have a full house.  I feel that your SIL, regardless if she works outside the home or not should be contributing atleast with your parents needs and dinner dishes.  Do you kids have chores?  Is this a long term living arrangement?

Dabberdoo
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like its time to have a sit down and discuss division of labor.  Make lists.  Everyone takes jobs.  

jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Sit down and talk with everyone. It is your responsibility regardless of there age to clean and care for your children. I can see you doing it for your mom and dad to an extent. However you are not your brother and sil care giver. They can take of there stuff and help with your mom and dads stuff as well.
chickadees
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Call a family meeting and explain that you are not the maid.  Everyone needs chores assigned to them...including all the kids.  The longer you do it, the more they will expect it and the cycle will be hard to break.  Good Luck!

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

It sounds as though everyone in the house other than the 2 year old and possibly the elderly parents should be responsible for cleaning their own rooms and bathrooms. If you only have the one bathroom, then assign a week for each able person to clean it every single day.  All of the able people should also be doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming.  You are not the maid.  Adults and older children need to have a hand in the cleaning.

5PointedHuman
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I feel that there is 0 reason why everyone should not contribute, no matter how small.

Audreysmommy123
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

the three older kids need to have some chores, before they do anything else.. and have rotations one week this one does kitchen detail, dishes, sweeping, wiping the counters every day.one does bathroom detail, one does random picking up through out the house, All responsible for their own rooms, and laundry. old enough for that as well.

Ricanmami88
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

So you feel like all you do is clean and no one barely helps right, Same here in my household two small children and DH i can understand the kids except my baby lol but damn DH i mean AChooo did i say that? yea i did barely helps it pisses me off and sometimes i just sit there and let it be because that's intense im stay at home mom ot a robot.

vic270
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM

i think i would sit everyone down and assign all the chores and tell them it must be done. i commend you for taking them all in but this is way to much for you. the tension alone would drive me insane. hang in there but give those assignments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)