Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning and YOUR mom

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 18 Replies

My mom always kept a clean home. She wasn't a Nazi about it but she made sure to keep things clean and tidy and taught us to do the same. These were the results:

Older sister-cleaning Nazi w/a white glove, no for real she has one

Older brother-similar to my mom

Me-similar to my mom but a tad more lax when it comes to toys & dish washing frequency

Younger brother-not sure he knows what cleaning is lol

What about you, is there any connection between your mom/guardian's cleaning style and yours&your siblings?

by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
decor42
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Absolutely, so much like my mom.  Clean but no white glove here.

ELFs_Mommy
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom was/is like yours... She keeps things clean, but not museum clean. Me... I try, I really really do. But 3 kids, a dog, and a DH that acts like a fourth kid... My house usually looks like a bomb went off in it :/.
AEB_MRB
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I lived with my grandparents until i was 17 and they were very everything neat and tidy. My mom when i lived with her only did her own laundry and that was it. Step dad delegated chores between us four kids and thought mom was cooking dinner...smh. Every night was fend for yourself unless dad was home. I've been overly relaxed lately so the house is cluttered...very much so. Usually I'm kinda in-between, like my husband mommy's plaque says " Clean enough to be healthy, messy enough to be happy"

snowangel1979
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM
My mom was a cleaning Nazi. Everything has to be scrubbed, hands and knees until it shines, then take a small brush and clean the cracks and crevices also. (she did/does have clutter because she's a shop-a-loic but it was behind closed doors or in the basement) I had chores growing up that had to be done perfectly, even if she didn't do it perfectly.

She used to come to my home with a white glove and use it in places like behind the t.v, the top of the fridge, top of pictures, ect and then yell and threaten CPS if it wasn't white.
Needless to say that was one reason I stopped letting her in my home and didn't talk to her for years. She did the same with my brother minus the CPS part because he didn't have children, she wasn't allowed in his house for a couple years too.

I'm kinda middle ground. I like my home being clean but I'm not over the top. I'm not cleaning every crack and crevice every week. Children only have to clean their room once a week, ect.A little dirt is good for ya. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

There is between mine and my mom's, but my brother just dumps everything on the floor and wades through it all.  I was raised in a home with a mother who kept the house clean and taught me to clean up after myself, and I don't know what planet my brother comes from but apparently they use the whole floor as a trash can there, lol.

harream
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM

No - mom had/has a clean house and everything has a place. me not so much, cluttered and still trying to make it all fit or clean out (have only lived in our house 1 1/2yrs after moving around for 5yrs and accumulating lots more - including 2 more kids ;-)

ScattrdSquirrel
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I used to think that my mom was the white glove kind, then we had to stay with them for a while after dh got transferred and I realized she's more relaxed about it then I thought. We are very similar.
Audreysmommy123
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM

my mom was a big time neat freak.. i have 6 brothers and sisters.. and they're all  clean in all different ways. one sister is such afreak that she has this stainless steel sink and every time there's even a little water she's in the sink drying it up with a towel. CRUMB on the floor oh no she on her hands and knees with a pan and brush. one of my brothers is just a slob, if he could live in garbage and cans he would. me on the other hand, ill let things slide, and have clutter piles here and there of like paperwork that needs to be gone through, but my floor is always swept dishes are loaded in the dishwasher. etc.

eevers55
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My mom likes to collect a lot of stuff. She wasn't dirty, just messy. She was always working, so she was never home to clean. I had to clean as my chores and I HATED it.
Now I'm crazy about cleaning. It really has nothing to do with my upbringing, just as an adult, I've come to appreciate how nice it feels to have a clean house.

MamaGreenBean
by New Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I don''t equate anything to my mother. I am me =) I clean like I want to clean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)