Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

My mom always kept a clean home. She wasn't a Nazi about it but she made sure to keep things clean and tidy and taught us to do the same. These were the results:

Older sister-cleaning Nazi w/a white glove, no for real she has one

Older brother-similar to my mom

Me-similar to my mom but a tad more lax when it comes to toys & dish washing frequency

Younger brother-not sure he knows what cleaning is lol

What about you, is there any connection between your mom/guardian's cleaning style and yours&your siblings?

by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (11-18):
Emeraldmama7
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My mom always kept a clean home.  I keep a cleaner home but that's just because of my need for perfection.  Funny thing is, my mom always allowed my brother and I to do as we wished with our rooms.  Mine was a MESS and she constantly said she hates to see what my future home will look like.

I now struggle with giving my children the same freedom because I feel that their room is still a part of my house and I want to decorate it and keep it clean like the rest of my home.  My older girls are 12, 11, 10...so I'm trying to give them some freedom in decorating their room and I only make the kids clean up their room every few days instead of everyday like I used to. 

My brother's house isn't that clean but is far from being nasty.  Just more dust than I would care to see daily.  Then again, I blame his gf for that.  =x

My grandparents always kept an immaculate house.  I think I may have gotten my cleaning genes from my grandma.  She was the kind of woman that would go to her children's homes with a white glove.  I hope I'm never like that with my kids though. 

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(12), Autumn(11), Mariah(10), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(4), Athena(1), Sage(m/c 4/13), and our newest pumpkin EDD 03/23/14!!!

Massage-Mom
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

im not a nazi cleaner, but i keep things organized....I need to wash things down more often I know that lol....DH doesnt clean anything xcept his shit....hes selfish.....so when my daughter plays and we USE our home....I keep it more organized and wash when needed

mom2gdj
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My step-dad is a packrat. Growing up in that house drove me crazy. There was always stuff everywhere on every hoizontal surface except the floors. Stuff was piled everywhere. The house was clean though because I cleaned it! We did laundry every day, washed dishes after every meal (hand-washing we were not allowed to use the dishwaser), vacuumed at least 2-3 times a week, swept and mopped the kitchen floor nearly every day, wiped the counters in the kitchen (what we could see of it.) We dusted and cleaned the bathrooms weekly. We were required to keep our rooms clean. My two step-sisters are packrats and one of them married a packrat. My step-brother seems to be clean and neat but that might have been his girlfriend that kept the house clean when I visited him last year. My bio sister is a slob hands down slob. Me, I am not a packrat and I like to keep things clean but not white glove clean. I did not like living with a packrat and pray I never become one. I have a daughter that could be a packrat if I would let her. I keep the kitchen clean. That means no dishes in the sink. They are put in the dishwasher almost immediatly. I clean the bathrooms once a week but keep the bathroom picked up on a daily basis. I sweep my living room/dining room every other day but that is because I have white tile and a black dog that sheds. I would only do it once a week if it weren't for the dog. Kitchen gets swept about every 3rd/4th day and mopped once a week. I keep my bed made but don't require the kids to make their beds. 

I believe I am different than my parents as far as cleaning goes. I have seen too many homes especially with pets that are nasty and smelly and I just can't allow my kids to live in that kind of filth. 

Shannon

elephantsin1
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

My mom liked things clean but she didn't go crazy with it. My sisters, brother and I all did chores. We did dishes, laundry, cleaned kitchen, bathroom, etc. I am an organize freak. My mom and DH think I am slightly OCD. LOL. Both my sisters are huge slobs and I don't know that my brother even knows how to clean anything (he still lives with mom).

DieselsMom
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother only cleaned when it was absolutely necessary...And when she did that, she made us girls do the majority of it while she "went through stuff" My sister now is the same way, I refuse to even sit on her sofa...I however like to keep a clean home! I wish I had the discipline to be a "cleaning nazi" but the house is clean enough that unexpected company is welcomed and things are presentable!

Beatlemama
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My mom cleaned regularly, but our house had some clutter.  My dad is a pack rat.  It never looked like hoarders or anything, just some areas tended to attract clutter.  

I am messy.  This is something I have been actively working on for the past year or so, but it still takes a conscious effort.  My dh is also a pack rat.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Yes, I'd say there is. Mom kept things clean and insisted that we girls cleaned until what we were cleaning was clean. 

MamaJane
by Jane on Dec. 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM
My mom was pretty clean. We had to make our beds before school, the table was set correctly every night and dishes were never left out.

I was really bad. I didn't realize how insanely clean my house was until I could no longer keep up with it. I started working last summer and there is just no way to keep it the way I had been. It bugs me sometimes but I've had to let it go.

But yes a lot of the things I do, I can remember my mom teaching me about.

I have 2 pack rat siblings and another neat freak one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)