Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

House work sucks

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 19 Replies

I want a nice clean house but I can't seem to achieve it!!!is there something wrong with. me, am I domestically challenged do I have a fenetic disorder that prevents me from getting the house clean or what?  I really want to do this, Christmas is only a couple of weeks away and I don't want to spend  Christmas Eve like a crazy person cleaning and staying up half the night to get it done.  Does anyone else have this problem or have any suvgeations?  Maybe I have adult ADD I don't know but I'm tired of my hous being a wreck!!!!

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Take a deep breath. Sit down and write out a list of things you want done. (on the computer is best so you can re arrange them by priority.)
Then follow your list, crossing things out as you go.
Make the list detailed. Not "straighten up living room" but "pick up clothes, toys, books, DVDs, etc."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sparkle
by Sparkle on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Bump
newwifenmom
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is what I do, helps me stay on track.You'll get it together OP :)

Quoting Lydlou02: Take a deep breath. Sit down and write out a list of things you want done. (on the computer is best so you can re arrange them by priority.)
Then follow your list, crossing things out as you go.
Make the list detailed. Not "straighten up living room" but "pick up clothes, toys, books, DVDs, etc."

lizard3731
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I'm tired of my house being a mess, but can't seem to get motivated to clean it enough.  It's dull and the stuff gets messed up so fast.  Oh, well.

decor42
by Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Do one room at a time.  Give yourself a 1/2 hour challenge per room and see what you accomplish. If time allows then go back through each room and give yourself a 10 minute challenge.  If you dont have enough time in one day then break it up into 2 days.  Once things are under control you will find that you can accomplish alot by giving yourself a reasonable amount of time (daily) per room.  Have appointed totes/baskets available when you are cleaning.  Mine are on my stairs.  As I clean I pick up items that go into other rooms, mainly upstairs.  At the end of the day we each grab our basket and take it upstairs with us to put the items away. It really does work.  I have found that instead of the kids making a trip upstairs to put something away they put it in their own basket.  This eliminates the accumalation.

MamaGreenBean
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You can either learn to live with what you can do, or step it up! Eat a good meal, make some coffee or whatever you love to drink, turn up some motivational music and get to a cleaning. 

rosboro5
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed right now. I just found out about a month ago I'm diabetic and I've been dealing with that which has been an on going battle. Can't get sugars normal. Then my husband had shoulder surgery last week and my mom had surgery too. I'm trying to take care of both of them, run my kids where they need to be and keep up with the every day stuff. I'm just feeling like it is all hopeless right now
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a lot to be going through. When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago it took months for us to get back into the swing of things after attending countless classes and figuring out how to switch our entire family's diet to something he could handle. He was physically down for months before we got it all worked out.

Last month he had issues with his diabetes and for a month I took him back and forth to doctors before they figured it out and he got surgery to fix it which meant even more time spent trying to help him and get him back on his feet and back to work. In that time my house looked like hell and I only cleaned my bathrooms once last month because it just wasn't a priority to me. 

As much as I hate to say it now is not the time to tackle improving your domestic skills. You need to focus on yourself and your husband. Everything else can wait right now. It's hard enough staying on top of the basics let alone trying to change the way you have been doing things for years. 

Quoting rosboro5: I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed right now. I just found out about a month ago I'm diabetic and I've been dealing with that which has been an on going battle. Can't get sugars normal. Then my husband had shoulder surgery last week and my mom had surgery too. I'm trying to take care of both of them, run my kids where they need to be and keep up with the every day stuff. I'm just feeling like it is all hopeless right now

bloodytears1986
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I'm right there with you. It took a REALLY bad fight with me and DH for me to finally get only the living room clean. 

Try doing what other mother's said and break it down into smaller steps. Also, if you do work on it and it looks like you have accomplished nothing, DON'T GIVE UP. That's one of my many cleaning problems. I'll clean for an hour look around and be disgusted by how much I still have to do. Remember a little progress is better then nothing at all getting done. 

::Hugs:: don't fret momma, I'm pretty sure I'm domestically challenged and I'm working threw it.  

rosboro5
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies :) it's just frustrating. I go back to dr Wednesday hopefly he will have some answers for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)