Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

TOYS TOYS TOYS JUNK

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I had a question for you moms out there who just have so much stuff!!! My daughter is 3yo....she has her own playroom...its not a huge room but its not small...she has so many toys I dont know what to do with them...and now that Christmas is jsut around the corner... need to make room for more.

My question is.....Instead of just pushing stuff aside and squishing more stuff in between it all, what are the important things you would keep and what are things you would donate? She doesnt have like any broken toys, im more for donating or giving to people who need it....I dont want to throw anything away. But I need to get some of this stuff out of my house!!

So if you could be general...because you dont know what toys she does have....let me know what kind of stuff you keep...throw out and donate!!!

The reason she has so much stuff is NOT because we buy it all...by any means....98% of everything my daughter has was given to her from friends and family.

thank you for your input!

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM
My youngest is three and she has baby dolls, play kitchen, doll house, and my little ponies for toys. Beyond that she has books, puzzles, games and lots of art supplies. Everything is in moderation though because we live in a small house and her room is even smaller than most.

If a toy is educational I tend to hold on to it longer than the usual ones that just clutter a room.
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Well, she's three, so th first thing to do is make sure you get rid of the infant toys. She doesn't need baby rattles or those links things. Then id look at noisy toys. What's the most annoying? Get rid of that. then multiples. Does she have doubles of anything? My DD had a loving family dollhouse AND a bunch of little people. I decided she didn't need both sets since they were basically the same thing. So I kept the dollhouse and got rid of the little people house, barn, garage, Ark, boat, camper, animals and people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd start with the things she has outgrown or lost interest in.  If you aren't sure if she has truely lost interest bag put it out of sight for a while.  If she misses it you can bring it back.

You might also talk to her about other little girls who don't have many toys and ask if she can find a few to give away.  You could take these to a shelter (homeless or for battered women and children), food pantry or church.  You could give to less fortunate kids you know or even post on freecycle. 

LDavis33
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the above posters suggestions.  My DH and I go through all the toys twice a year (once during the summer, and then again right before Christmas)  We throw out any broken toys or toys with missing parts.  We donate any toys our son doesn't play with anymore to his daycare.  I wish we could get him involved in this process, but he's still too young to understand and so we do all of this while he is out of the house.

Another suggestion (slightly off topic) that I have is this.  Our son has so many toys that he just gets overwhelmed sometimes.  And most of them never get played with because of this.  So what we did was we got three large plastic storage bins and filled each of them with an assortment of toys.  Then we put two of the bins in the garage and one in the living room.  Once a week we exchange the bin for a new one.  This keeps all of his toys "fresh" for him and it's also easier to see which toys he loves and which he could do without.

eevers55
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I went through and got rid of about half the stuff in my daughter's room (she's 2.5)
My dad said he's sending a box of toys for Christmas, my mom is sending something, my sister and brother are each sending something and my grandmother sent a check asking us to buy a new doll.
So I needed to clear out.
I use freecycle to get rid of my stuff. I even met a woman on there who finds toys and clothes for all different ages because she's a foster parent and has kids come and go and likes to send them with stuff and likes to have stuff for them when they arrive. Now I always ask her first before I get rid of items. My husband's best friend is also adopted and his mom hosts kids form time to time. If he's in town, I'll save up stuff to give to him to give to his mom for the kids. Maybe connect with adoption services in your area? Also, some women's shelters will take gently used toys and clothes, which is always a great place to donate to.

I told my daughter we were giving some of her toys away to kid who need toys to play with. She half understood and was totally on board. But then I don't think she realised that she wouldn't be getting the toys back because she tried to give her favorite stuffed animal that she throws fits about if he's not around. I just did this last week and she doesn't even seem to remember she had the toys I did give away. I kept the things she still uses on a daily basis and can still use for quite a few years (art easel, doll house, play kitchen). I got rid of about half the stuffed animals and only kept the sentimental ones (or the ones my sister got from around the world while in the Air Force). Her room has even managed to stay mostly clean for this whole time too. I'm amazed.

reux
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I find my child lets go of things easier when able to give them to a younger friend. That goes for toys, clothes, anything else. Some things (like cheap crappy little toys) I just sneak out when my kiddo looses interest in them (just a few here or there). 

reux
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, if there are too many much beloved stuffed animals I just discovered a solution for that, Boon's animal bags (you can get them on amazon or ebay or whatever. They're around $35 and fit a whole bunch of stuffed animals in there (also once stuffed with animals they double as bean bag style chairs). Genius! My kiddo was begging for a bean bag chair and I was like, "where would we possibly put that?" then I found the stuffed animal bags and voila, 2 birds, one stone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)