Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mold and keeping ahead of it...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a tiled shower both walls and ceiling.  I can't keep ahead of the mold!  There is a window in there and I have an exhaust fan, but I can't get it to stop.  Anyone else have this problem?  I should also say it gets on the shower curtain too.  I just about knocked myself out today cleaning in there with bleach...it's in the teens here and opening all the windows wasn't an option.  I did open the one in the shower, but had to close it quickly because it seemed to be sucking all the heat out of the house?  Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TardisBlue
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We live in a rental house in Florida and had some similar issues. I cleaned the shower really really really good with that foamy bleach cleaner (Scrubbing Bubbles, I think). Then I made a spray bottle with a water/vinegar/baking soda/lemon mix and I spray that on the walls and door after each shower. Smells very nice and no more mold or mildew. Still have dark spots on the grout where it used to be, but oh well.
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM
I would spray down the shower every day after you use it. It will prevent the bacteria from growing in between the deep cleaning.
AromaDrops33
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Clean with tea tree essential oil, it kills mold :)
decor42
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:21 AM

 We have hard water so we can have some calcium build up.  I find that wiping the shower down after each use really helps.  I have a pile of older towels that we use for this purpose. I would suggest that after you get the mold cleaned off start wiping the shower down after the last person has showered to see if this helps.  Is it mainly along the grout lines? That may be another issue.

chickadees
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

We did wipe the walls down when we first got the space tiled and  yes that worked well, but folks are less cooperative now.  It does seem that the mold is mainly in the grout.  It's dark and sometimes kind of redish pink.  I went after it yesterday and it looks good in there...not perfect, but better.  But I really can't do this as often as I need to because of the smell.  My husband came home last night and complained that the house smelled like bleach and that was hours after I did it and I couldn't smell the bleach any more.  I thought tile was the way to go, but now I am having second thoughts.  We want to move in a couple years, so I really don't want to invest thousands into having the tile removed and something else put in since the tile itself is in fine shape.  We just thought we would regrout prior to putting the house on the market.

Quoting decor42:

 We have hard water so we can have some calcium build up.  I find that wiping the shower down after each use really helps.  I have a pile of older towels that we use for this purpose. I would suggest that after you get the mold cleaned off start wiping the shower down after the last person has showered to see if this helps.  Is it mainly along the grout lines? That may be another issue.


chickadees
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM

So we went to home depot this morning and talked to someone about the mold problem.  He suggest a product that came in a spray bottle and you spray it on and it sort of encapsulates the mold making it so that it can't grow.  We used it all over the walls in the bathroom...mold area or not and once it dries we will be putting on 1 if not 2 coats of kilz before painting next weekend.  Bleach didn't work as far as keeping the mold at bay, fingers crossed  for this stuff ladies.  You can use this stuff in the shower and on tile too.  No smell either!

bluestreak35
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM


Quoting chickadees:

So we went to home depot this morning and talked to someone about the mold problem.  He suggest a product that came in a spray bottle and you spray it on and it sort of encapsulates the mold making it so that it can't grow.  We used it all over the walls in the bathroom...mold area or not and once it dries we will be putting on 1 if not 2 coats of kilz before painting next weekend.  Bleach didn't work as far as keeping the mold at bay, fingers crossed  for this stuff ladies.  You can use this stuff in the shower and on tile too.  No smell either!

You got good advice. Kilz paint is what I was going to suggest. Also, you can dab liquid dishwasher detergent on mold spots and leave it. It will suffocate the mold. It does eat at the paint on the wall a bit, but that can be touched up.

supermom.sv
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Try taking a minute and wiping down all the moisture after taking the shower.

Turn on the exhaust 30 mins after the shower.

Try opening the windows atleast 30 minutes a day so that fresh air comes into it.

Try washing the shower curtain once in 2 weeks or 3 weeks depending on the mold build up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)