Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Has anyone else done this?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 10 Replies

My sopn just brought home a nasty stomach bug from school and I was the only one who didnt catch it.  When it started i realized I was completely unprepared and as a result thats how my husband and then daughter caught it.  My husband was the primary vomit catcher and I think he caught it from over spray of germs, and my daughter just couldnt stay away from daddy so she got it, although not as badly.  I've decided I'm going to put together a stomach bug survival kit.  Here is what I am planning on including:

1 large plastic tub to hold things

Paper towels

disposable gloves

face masks

lysol disenfectant spray(3 cans)

disenfectant wipes

a vomit bowl/garbage can

plastic bags to transport or dispose of items

an old towel or two for camping out in front of the toilet

goodnights bed covers for accidents

hand sanitizer

gatorade or pedialyte, gingerale, boxes of jello

Does anyone else have one?  Have any ideas for anything else?  We have a really small house and my children share a bedroom so quarentine is not always an option so I have to be really careful if we want to contain it next time.

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
decor42
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

In  a tub per say- NO but I ususally have all of the things you mentioned on hand. After a bug I throw out toothbrushes and be sure to wash down knobs, door handles and the toilet handle as well as remotes and the phones.

Momtogirls0823
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM

We don't have it all in a tub but we have most of those on hand.  One thing dh reminded me to disinfect after our latest bout was our steering wheels in our cars.  The bug went through our entire house so we both had to disinfect everything we touched.  I would have never thought about the steering wheels.  You do have a good idea, though.  :)

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Honestly, we don't disinfect anything when we're sick. It is what it is and eventually you'll catch something so we just let it run it's course.

We do have soup, crackers, drinks and other "sick" foods on hand for this time of year just in case.
Pink.Frosting
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The best tip I have for surviving caring for others who have stomach bugs is one I learned when working in a daycare.  Actually spray yourself with Lysol spray.  When someone in my family is sick, as I clean up behind them I'll also periodically take the Lysol spray and spray over myself, my clothes.  It helped the teachers in the daycare not catch every bug the kids brought in and it has helped me to not catch stomach bugs from my family when they are sick.

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I usually have all of that stuff on hand.  

I discovered the hard way that when y ou have little ones and stomach bugs make their rounds, it's best to have a carpet cleaner on hand.  We have a bissell and I love it.

aj_mom
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Something for medicine for nausea/vomiting and diarrhea 

Sewsofun
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I do have a carpet cleaner, so thats covered.  We are a one income household and if my husband gets sick, it can be a rough couple of weeks, pay wise. We don't worry about colds, or any of that so much, but we're not very immunitively blessed in this house so we have to watch our p's and q's

Amazingmom8385
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM
I never thought about doing that, but I think you have a GREAT idea!!!!!!
mary716
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM
That's an interesting tip and one I wish I knew about back in February when our whole house was taken out in the same day with the stomach flu lol

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

The best tip I have for surviving caring for others who have stomach bugs is one I learned when working in a daycare.  Actually spray yourself with Lysol spray.  When someone in my family is sick, as I clean up behind them I'll also periodically take the Lysol spray and spray over myself, my clothes.  It helped the teachers in the daycare not catch every bug the kids brought in and it has helped me to not catch stomach bugs from my family when they are sick.

acer.acerpori
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have one but it's a great idea! 

I have some things you could add

Gravol (or anything like that)
Toothbrush and tooth paste

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)