Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Too many beauty products!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hey everyone! I don't post in here much but I do have a question.

How would you all recommend sorting through tons of beauty products?

I have a teeny tiny bathroom that I share with my dd (4 yo) and my stuff is literally everywhere! I'm addicted to fragrances so the back of my toilet is basically a tiny version of bath and body works, the rack in the shower is full of different of different shampoos and shower gels, under the sink is also full of miscellaneous things, and to top it all off I have a set of drawers in my closet that is full of hair products and more beauty products. I feel as though I'm scared to throw something away because I might need or want it later.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gsprofval
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I recently had to clean out under the bathroom sink so my son could put in a new fawcet for me.

I had a lot of stuff and my new rule is I can't buy any more until I use up what I already have.  At this point, I have enough handcream for about a year--used coupons so it was a good deal.

Using coupons also provided for lots of shampoo, conditioner, mascara, etc.  

I look at it this way, if I don't use it, then it's no good and I wasted a lot of money.

I did find some stuff that is so old it had to go in the trash.

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM
That stuff is only good for so long. There has been a picture floating around online about what the recommended time is for each of these items. Pitch what is past it's prime and don't buy more until you use what you have. Replace as you use it.
bluestreak35
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Here's an idea for you. Cycle them weekly or monthly. Get a big storage bin or set of storage drawers and store them elsewhere (where you have more room) and only keep a few in the bathroom at a time.

Then when you go to your storage it will be like shopping for a new scent, color, style etc.

JTE11
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I have sensitive skin, and I often can't make it through a whole bottle of something (lotion, shampoo, etc) before I have a reaction and have to change to something else. I am constantly changing products so I end up with a lot of partial bottles sitting in my bathroom cabinet. I got tired of them being crammed in there, of the cabinet being so full, and I just decided I was throwing everything that was less than half full out. Just got rid of it. Then I decided to save four bottles of shampoo, four bottles of conditioner, two bottles of lotion, one bottle of perfume, and you know, those are plenty. You can only wear one perfume at a time. Any hair care products I haven't used in the past year also went into the trash. Old lotion that used to smell good and whose odor had faded, I threw away. I used to keep every little bit but I'm over that. It was borderline hoarding for me and I just had enough, so I decided what I really needed was a lot less. It's worked out fine and I haven't missed any of those partials. And I have kept to my deal I made with myself, no more than four bottles of shampoo or conditioner. If I find another one I want I don't buy it until I use up one of the ones I have. I still have enough to rotate if my skin acts up. I'd say come up with some criteria for what you can part with like I did. You may be surprised by the difference between what you think you need and what you actually do need.

ja2010
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Buy caddies of some sort.

decor42
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

It is possible that many of the items are at or beyond their expiration date.  I also love fragrances, but I limit myself to 5 or 6, regarless. As for makeup, I have 2 foundations, 2 blush, 4 combo pack eye shadows, 2 eye liners, 2 mascaras and 5 lip sticks.  My rule is that if I am getting near the end I replace it and not until.  I am able to keep all of my makeup in a wicker basket that has a hinged lid.  When I am done for the day I stick the basket under the sink.  As for the fragrances they go in another wicker basket and are put under the sink as well.  Shampoos, bar and hand soaps are really what takes up a majority of our closet space.  I use the top shelf of the linen closet for these items.  I try to go through this closet 2 times a year and eliminate what is not being used.

BrightKisses
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Very true! I've had some things for at least 4 years, I really have to go through and just toss what I don't use. Unfortunately out linen closet is packed to the max. I live with my parents and getting my mom to clean out her closet and linen closet is a nightmare. Lol, I probably get my habits from her because she is a pack rat.

Quoting decor42:

It is possible that many of the items are at or beyond their expiration date.  I also love fragrances, but I limit myself to 5 or 6, regarless. As for makeup, I have 2 foundations, 2 blush, 4 combo pack eye shadows, 2 eye liners, 2 mascaras and 5 lip sticks.  My rule is that if I am getting near the end I replace it and not until.  I am able to keep all of my makeup in a wicker basket that has a hinged lid.  When I am done for the day I stick the basket under the sink.  As for the fragrances they go in another wicker basket and are put under the sink as well.  Shampoos, bar and hand soaps are really what takes up a majority of our closet space.  I use the top shelf of the linen closet for these items.  I try to go through this closet 2 times a year and eliminate what is not being used.

eevers55
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I definitely agree with all the expiration posts. I was the same way and then I decided to go through everything. More than half was expired so I threw it out. I'm a big sunscreen person and most of my day lotions have to have sunscreen because my skin will burn (also have tons of after sun care lol). But then i read up and sunscreen becomes even less powerful after expiring.
Another thing that helped me was organizing. Go to the dollar store and get stuff for organizing. Stacking bins that you can put labels on, over the door shoe caddies are my FAVORITE. They fit ALL sorts of bottles of stuff. I also have a larger one for my cleaning products.
This site: http://www.madincrafts.com/2013/01/organize-your-whole-house-with-one-trip.html
has a lot of good ideas that you can make your own. All about dollar store organizing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN