Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Need help with cleaning advice!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM
  • 4 Replies
So, me and my husband moved into a small apartment not too long ago. It's not great but big enough for just us. We got ourselves a new bedroom set to red. Red curtains, red rug and red pillows blankets, and sheets. We also got white pillows and put the red pillow cases on them. About 3 weeks later we noticed that our mattress and white pillows are now turning pink from the red rubbing off on them! That don't bother us too much because you don't see the pillows or the mattress anyways. My problem is actually further and weirder than that. Around the same time we noticed the pillows and mattress we noticed that our TOILET SEAT is now a bright pink!!! We do sleep naked alot because we are a newly married couple and it's starting to get warmer outside. So when we wake up we go to the bathroom and long story short I have a pink toilet now. I tried scrubbing it but I'm afraid to put anything harsh chemicals on it because I don't have any expeirance in this lol. It is just a normal white seat no cushion or nothing. We have replaced the seat when we first moved in because the seat broke after about a week but I don't want to keep replacing. So any advice at all would be amazing!!! I can post pics if anyone thinks that would help them to have an idea how to deal with it. Again, thanks mommas!!!
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I would try clorox.  OR baking soda with vingar and dawn with some hot water. 

bluestreak35
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this

Wash the bedding with a strong vinegar solution to set the dye.

It wasn't properly set so it's getting on things.

supermom.sv
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Wash the bedding 2 or 3 times until it stops fading. It is not good to sleep on that blanket if it is fading that bad. try washing or just replace the blanket and pillow covers.

joanandgene
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM

When you wash your sheets, it is very important to set your rinse cycle on cold and use about a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle, better yet, let it sit in the vinegar rinse water for an hour then continue the cycle. Your body is absorbing the toxic dye and being transferred to the toilet seat. That is bad for you and your husband. If your sheets continue to leech I would get rid of them. It now becomes a health issue.  If you do buy new sheets, buy 100% (pima or egyptian) cotton with a thread count of 300 to 400. Polyester sheets are lightweight but they make you sweat. Not a good choice for warmer weather. As for the toilet seat, try the magic eraser on it.

I would not use clorox on your sheets, that would take the color right out of your sheets and turn them pink.

I am surprised they are not pink already with all the color loss. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN