Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

soap scum

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
My shower is a pain in my butt.. im renting a apartment. Been here almost 3 years. The showers/tub collects soap scrum so quickly and its soon annnoyingggggg.... I use dry erasers which are awesome but im seriously scrubbing forever!!!!!. Any suggestions??
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snigletmagoo320
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I use a steel wool pad and scrub very gently. If you scrub to hard you can scratch the plastic. The pads are cheap and come with soap already in them so you don't need additional cleaner.

decor42
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I use to use a product called Snow-Bol.  It was readily available at many stores. The only place that I can find it at is Family Dollar.  The packaging and product have both been changed and now it isnt any different than the product The Works. This product could literally be squirted on and rinsed off without much effort. We have several old bath towels that we use to dry down the shower after each use.  It really saves on the physical effort and time needed to clean it.  I wash the towels every 3 or 4 days as needed. I have calcium in my water and with the drying of the shower I now only have to use elbow grease every other week.

LilMsSecret
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I had the same problem, then I read on Pinterest to mix white vinegar and Dawn dish soap, put in microwave for 90 seconds, and spray ur shower head to toe, and leave on for at least 30-60 min and then WIPE not scrub...i thought ya right!! I couldn't believe how awesome it worked! Even the shower curtain wiped clean!! Good luck! Exact measurements are prob on google if u search vinegar and dawn fish soap!

acer.acerpori
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Manual or Electric tooth brush will really help with all the small areas.
LilMsSecret
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I just noticed that looks like u CANT scrub....u can if you have to, but mostly the soap scum wipes right off! But if it doesn't, u can scrub the areas, when I first tried it I did it twice, and some areas I had to use a scrub brush and it came right off! I told my mom about it too, she just had to get a brand new stand up shower stall bc she has hard well water that leaves orange stains after awhile, but this even takes the orange out!! Its amazing and I'm not....or wasn't....a big believer in all or any thing all natural!! I'm slowly realizing how wrong that was!! Pinterest is an amazing place for cleaning tips!!

decor42
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I will have to try this.  I use Dawn soap as a laundry pre treater and a very mild solution when I steam clean the rugs.

Quoting LilMsSecret:

I had the same problem, then I read on Pinterest to mix white vinegar and Dawn dish soap, put in microwave for 90 seconds, and spray ur shower head to toe, and leave on for at least 30-60 min and then WIPE not scrub...i thought ya right!! I couldn't believe how awesome it worked! Even the shower curtain wiped clean!! Good luck! Exact measurements are prob on google if u search vinegar and dawn fish soap!

Breeea
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I mix murphy oil soap, vinegar and a little dawn dish detgt. It's strong, but melts scum for me. I wet down the surround and tub with hot water first, spray mixture on, let it sit a few minutes and wipe down. Make sure to otherwise clean tub part afterwards, b/c the oil soap will leave the bottom a little oily.

ja2010
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I am totally agreement with you. Ours have patches of white and yellow spots yuck

cayenaroja
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, I work as a house cleaner and this is the best; mix equal parts vinegar  and dawn dishwashing soap in a spray bottle, spray your bathroom and leave it for 2 hours and scrubing well. Maybe all the soap scum won't come off all at once but close. good

cayenaroja
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Hello, mix vinegar, borax and dishwahing soap; spray your shower and let it soak for a few hours, scrubbing with hot water, and repeat the process again. I use one of those brush brooms with a long handle, if is possible for you to use it, try it. I use my floor map and glow to wipe down the shower with a microfiber towel and let it dry, the soap won't give you as much trouble anymore. I work as a house cleaner and use a lot of natural ways to clean, if you need to know anything else, sent me a message. Hope that works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)