• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's gross but essential

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM
  • 24 Replies
Does anyone know a natural lice killing remedy? I have three kids and their cousin always seems to have lice. This last time we got it. I tried smothering them with olive oil and I also use a diluted Apple cider rinse. So far so good, but I believe having more than one natural method is always wise. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Please don't quote me on this but I have seen other posts around CM talking about tea tree oil. I can only recommend a Google search on that and lice and see what specifics you come up with.

Nikkijr
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofchey
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I heard mix mayo in your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. I guess it suffocates them and they die. I personally don't know if this works. Just what I heard.
Nikkijr
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Thank you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
decor42
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

A true remedy is COMET. While the hair is lathered add COMET and rub in.  Let it set for about 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly. There really isnt a concern of the mixture getting into the eyes as long as you have a good lather form the shampoo.

Nikkijr
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for sharing that.

I typed this post after treating my families hair with the olive oil soak over night. I rinsed it the next morning in the apple cider vinegar (half diluted with water). And got all the bugs out. They were are babies. HalleluYah for that.

Yesterday I re-rinsed our hair with Apple cider vinegar to be on the safe side. No bugs. Of course; I had to quarantine and wash everything during the whole process.

I am concerned though about the comet. That's some really harsh chemicals to be putting on heads. Please try this method next time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikkijr
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Please refer to comment before this one. Thank you for answering my post.

Quoting decor42:

A true remedy is COMET. While the hair is lathered add COMET and rub in.  Let it set for about 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly. There really isnt a concern of the mixture getting into the eyes as long as you have a good lather form the shampoo.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin411
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Make sure you use the nit comb still. It doesn't matter how many bugs you kill if you don't get the nits out. You don't want repeat infestations!
Pink.Frosting
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Beer.

Smothering them in mayo or olive oil or vaseline for at least half an hour.

Really extreme, but I've heard of people using kerosene.

decor42
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM

This method was recommended by a neurologist as my nephew would have severe asthma attacks and at times they would turn into seizures.  Everything bothered him right down to breast milk. This child spent a mojority of his first 3 years hospitalized. Asthma and seizures. While hospitalized he caught lice several times.  He always had a seizure from the traditional treatment. The Drs. were stumped as to what to do. His neuro stepped in with the suggestion of COMET. I realize that some may consider this a harsh chemical treatment but it does work. It isn't any different than adding a color treatment as long as the hair is re shampooed and rinsed well. One would only use about a T-spoon at the most.

Quoting Nikkijr: Thanks for sharing that. I typed this post after treating my families hair with the olive oil soak over night. I rinsed it the next morning in the apple cider vinegar (half diluted with water). And got all the bugs out. They were are babies. HalleluYah for that. Yesterday I re-rinsed our hair with Apple cider vinegar to be on the safe side. No bugs. Of course; I had to quarantine and wash everything during the whole process. I am concerned though about the comet. That's some really harsh chemicals to be putting on heads. Please try this method next time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)