Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home made carpet cleaning solution ideas

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone have any easy to make home made carpet cleaning solutions that work good especially for tough stains and that can be used in a carpet shampooer? 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
IUMer
by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:09 AM

I have a couple of pins on Pinterest about this. One says to use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Another says to mix 1 cup Oxiclean, 1 cup Febreeze, 1 cup distilled white vinegar and pour into the shampooer's tub. Fill the rest of the way with hot water.

I haven't tried either but I will soon. Good luck!

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Don't do 50/50 with vinegar. I made the mistake and the smell didn't go away for weeks! I now just put the amount of vinegar in that it recommends for regular cleaning solution. It still takes a bit for the smell to completely dry out of the carpets but it's cheap, leaves the carpets soft and new feeling and now I can go longer in between cleaning sessions.

Quoting IUMer:

I have a couple of pins on Pinterest about this. One says to use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Another says to mix 1 cup Oxiclean, 1 cup Febreeze, 1 cup distilled white vinegar and pour into the shampooer's tub. Fill the rest of the way with hot water.

IUMer
by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Thank you for the warning! And for the suggestion! :)

Quoting Caitlin411: Don't do 50/50 with vinegar. I made the mistake and the smell didn't go away for weeks! I now just put the amount of vinegar in that it recommends for regular cleaning solution. It still takes a bit for the smell to completely dry out of the carpets but it's cheap, leaves the carpets soft and new feeling and now I can go longer in between cleaning sessions.
Quoting IUMer:

Caitlin411
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't want anyone to go through that! Vinegar is great just not in those huge quantities. I'm just glad I was brave enough to try it a second tine and not just give up on trying to use it. :)

Quoting IUMer:

Thank you for the warning! And for the suggestion! :)

Quoting Caitlin411: Don't do 50/50 with vinegar. I made the mistake and the smell didn't go away for weeks! I now just put the amount of vinegar in that it recommends for regular cleaning solution. It still takes a bit for the smell to completely dry out of the carpets but it's cheap, leaves the carpets soft and new feeling and now I can go longer in between cleaning sessions.

Quoting IUMer:

ja2010
by on May. 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Baking soda, club soda,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)