Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Hoarder!!! And I am officially organized in one week!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this
My home is beautiful for the first time in my life. It lacks the clutter that has been weighing me down for twenty plus years. This is the best feeling ever.

To get there took one week with a live in professional organizer. She also has a major in psychology. I need to save my marriage.

I came to a few conclusions. I learned much along the way. I have been moving clutter for many years. I may have temporarily been able to make a couple rooms in my home look decent but stuff never had a designated place.

Bins and labels!!! What a concept! Yes, I had purchased some over the years but never enough. I also never labeled them. Kid toys now have a bin with labels (with no lid on a high shelf). My son has adapted very quickly. (And the house is safer for him!)My crafting supplies now all have bins and labels. The bathrooms and closets now have bins with labels. Everything now has a place! That makes putting things where they belong much easier.

Laundry. I have officially given up sorting by color! I now sort by person. My hubby, son and I each have our own laundry baskets. Plus towel and sheet baskets. Now, I can easily wash a load, and know that I only need to put away one persons clothes. We as a family have way too many clothes. We don't have room for them all in drawers. I finally came to the conclusion that large bins are the way to go. Each of us now have bins in out of the way areas for shirts, pants/shorts, underwear and socks.

Baby stuff. I had to let it go. I have come to the conclusion that I will likely not have another child. Yes. I could have made more money off of it if I had time, but it needed to get out of the house. If I do have another child I will have to buy everything again. But I know what I would need so there would be much less waste.

Sending stuff to charity/goodwill type places. Do not hesitate. Get them out immediately before the bags and boxes clutter your home. It took 6 trips.
I still have a few kid items to sell/consign but they are in my car until they are gone. Not allowed inside!

Laundry again - if it is built up to out of control, make a couple trips to a laundry mat. You can get a ton done in three hours, keeping the momentum vs trying to do constant loads day in and out where you end up give up and it stacks so fast. Once it is in control it is much easier to keep it there.

You can keep memories. It is ok! Just limit it to items of significance. A bin or two for memories. A bin for children's art work.

Even with a professional you must be a major part of the process. I had to trust the process. I had to essentially strip and let her see the real me. It is very humbling. I obviously do not know how to get there on my own. I had to trust her process and do what she said. My job was to follow direction. Usually sort between keep and don't keep. I decided to listen to my organizer fully. I can always change things later if they are not working. But she knows more than me.

My husband kept saying "I want THAT room done. It was a few days in before THAT room was started. We had to do the rooms he did not care about in order to take care of the room he wanted to be nice. (My crafting business had taken over the breakfast room. It was disorganized and full of clutter. It now has its own room)

I still have work to do. There are three drawers I skipped due to time restraints with her. They are unseen and I can take one a day once school starts back again. I have a few projects in my craft room for organization. But they can each be done in a morning when time permits.

You have to be motivated to get it done. What is your reason? For me it is an attempt to save my marriage. Even better is the feeling that this is helping our son. He is happier with everything having a place. I am happier and more organized in my day and with him.

The main completion has been all of four days. The hard part will now be maintaining. I feel great and scared at the same time. I now have to maintain.

I also came to the conclusion that the show Hoarders is horrible for people that are average hoarders. I was nowhere near what I would bee on that show so I was ok. I don't collect old newspapers or food! You can be a hoarder even if your house is not stacked to the ceiling.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on bins of various sizes. Anyone else feel pain when spending $$ on something to hide in a closet? I did. Thankfully I just reimbursed and never saw that part. (I figured out that I had an issue with spending money on storage).

Before I buy something I must ask myself where I will store it! Otherwise I can't buy it.

This was an extreme makeover. It does have a huge impact emotionally and physically. It really helps to have help if you are so overwhelmed you don't know where to start. If you can ask someone for help do so. I was feeling trapped and alone. There is so much more to it than a messy house.

I am not finished! Garage and a kitchen cabinets remain. (I can do the kitchen now!)
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondepegasus
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM

That's wonderful! Congrats on getting things under control. I am also on a quest to declutter and reorganize my househole in a more efficient manner, so I love hearing ideas.

MammaKoi
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats and your giving me the motivation to actually do my house,Lol. Its worse then yours I think. 

Eyvette
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM
I don't know about it being worse! Mine was horrible and overwhelming. It did take professional help and motivation. But over a week later it is still looking good! I have been in chaos for so long. It is so nice to have order. My son is loving it too.
stayathome510
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Good for you!!
karen2112
by on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM

One question - Don't your white t-shirts get dingy?

Congratulations on a great job cleaning and organizing!

aj_mom
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That's wonderful. We are in the process of buying a house. I hope that I can organize as we move in. Otherwise it will be so much harder. Best of luck to you and thanks for letting us know that it is possible.

Eyvette
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I don't wear white in general :) I try to avoid them for my son as he messes clothes up fast. My hubby is just going to have to deal with his white socks getting dingy. They are old anyways.

Quoting karen2112:

One question - Don't your white t-shirts get dingy?

Congratulations on a great job cleaning and organizing!

reux
by Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Awesome! congratulations! 

FluffyDustBunny
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM

That is great keep up the great work and keep your spirits up don't have nobody or nothing pull you down!  You go girl!

amandap33
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I wish I could do have a week with a pro.

congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN