Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

looking for free or cheap organizing ideas

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 67 Replies

ive been scowering pinterest and blogs to look for free or cheap organizing ideaas for "problem" areas in our home to make things go smoothly for when school starts.

I've found a couple things..

empty 12 packs of pop, use in your pantry for cans of soup, veggies etc.

i had a lazy susan laying around and put that in my fridge for things like salsa, sourcream dips etc. yeah those things get frequently lost in my fridge

just going around purging items and what i can use to organize

is there anything free or cheap that has helped you get organized?

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondepegasus
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:19 AM
3 moms liked this

You can repurpose egg cartons for jewelry, screws and other small hardware, etc. Baby food jars make good spice storage. Velveeta cheese boxes are good "free" drawer organizers. Line several up in large drawers to separate your items. That's all I've got right now...LOL

stayathome510
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw this idea... to help keep fridge organized, open packages of cheese sticks, lunch meat, etc, and use shoe box size plastic containers to hold items in fridge. Easy for kids to grab things to make their own lunches, etc...
Audreysmommy123
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

ive been slowly getting my fridge done.. i need a couple dish pans from the dollar store to finish up the fridge

Quoting stayathome510: I saw this idea... to help keep fridge organized, open packages of cheese sticks, lunch meat, etc, and use shoe box size plastic containers to hold items in fridge. Easy for kids to grab things to make their own lunches, etc...

stayathome510
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM
My sister mentioned that she prefers the hanging type organizers that hang on doors vs. Totes/bins. I don't have any hanging organizers...
aj_mom
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

BUMP

I need ideas as well.

Karine561
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I repurpose shoe box for organizing the under wear, socks ect...

LoveToOrganize
by Member on Sep. 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally - I love using baskets of all kinds to organize. I use everything from small, plastic dollar shop baskets to extra large decorative ones that I received as gift baskets and repurposed...the possiblities are endless.....

I hope this helps....a little snippet of Chapter 22 "Recycle and Reuse"  from my book "Organize Your Life and More"    :-)

Baskets  

Do you have empty baskets around your home that are decorative but have no real purpose? Baskets are great organizational tools and can be both decorative and useful.

Baskets used for storage can hold many different items such as:

1. Linens.

2. Children's toys.

3. Pet toys.

4. Jewelry.

5. Books.

6. In the office: keys, office supplies, notecards.

7. In the kitchen: silverware, napkins, condiments, fruit, tea bags, grab-and-go items.

8. In the bathroom: towels, washcloths, toilet paper.

9. In a hobby room: knitting, string, yarn, other small supplies.

10. Anywhere: Miscellaneous catchall bin.

Baskets can also be useful when carrying items such as cleaning supplies, clothing, or several items at once, from room to room inside the home. They can also help in carrying items for outside projects to and from your house, shed, or garden. Use them to carry tools, supplies, fruits, vegetables, flowers, and so much more.

Besides organizing and carrying items, baskets can also be used for decorative purposes holding potpourri, pinecones, flowers, etc. Baskets can even be used as a small dog or cat bed. Of all the pet beds we have purchased over the years, a small basket has been our family cat's favorite place to sleep.

"Organization isn't about perfection; it's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money and improving your overall quality of life."    - Christina Scalise, OrganizeYourLifeAndMore  

FluffyDustBunny
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have kids and they love to color use an old dish strainer and use it for their coloring books and crayons.  (Coloring books go where the plates and bowls go and the crayons go where the silver wear go)  I hope that helps ya.  Have a good day!

rosesink
by Member on Oct. 4, 2014 at 5:23 AM
1 mom liked this

The dollar Tree has lots of bins and crates that can be used for a lot of storage ideas.  I got four milk crate type (but a little smaller) bins and used them under my bathroom sinks.  This way I can stack things in more then just one layer by category.  I also have a wire hanging type rack that was a total wreck and I got some cute square and some rectangle small bins and used them to organize that area (batteries, small tools, tape, pencils, small hardware ect).  It looks great ! Then I used two dish strainer shaped bins to put my "Tupperware lids" in one for round one for square....NO MORE PLASTIC AVALANCHE!!  Go to the dollar tree ( or your local everything's a $1 store) and let your mind go wild on the cheap.

happy

mollymolly
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I bought some peg board from the hardware store and then bought some of the hooks to go in it.  We put that in my daughter's closet for her to hang her jewelry on.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN