Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you hit the ground running when you get home?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM
  • 2 Replies

I work and I get home around the same time that my kids do.  I like to help them with their homework if they need it, so sometimes I don't know if I should start doing something around the house, or be available to help them.  If they have places they need to go - practice, shop for project supplies, etc., I give those things first priority.  But I don't feel productive when I get home because I am open to what THEY need first.  I also want them to give their first priority to schoolwork, but I know they also need to help to keep the household clean.  Our house is just not functioning well.  Help!

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
saraewhite
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM

That is so tough, I am sorry that your struggling. How much time do you/they have from the time you all get home till the time you all go to bed? How much time do you all have in the morning???

My kids are young yet (8 & 6) but at 7:30 (half an hour before they go to bed) I have them brush their teeth, lay out their clothes for the morning, pack their back packs and set them by the door along with their coats, hats, gloves and boot. Then They need to pick up their things and put them away. 

Is their anyway that you could set apart a half an hour fro them to do chores before school or after dinner???

suziejax
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM

I work part time also. I know what you mean. I would first focus on their needs first for school work etc. Sacrifice on your days off major decluttering & cleaning times ( once you get it done you wont have to work so hard on days off cleaning I hope). Do light maintiance on the days in between. Have a set time each day they help you like maybe after school work & some down time. Have a chart where each kid knows what they are to do on what days have them sticker or mark it off to keep track ! Just have the kids help on school nights with one chore each maybe... like take out trash or something to help you out ( depending on age you could add 2) chores for kids really shouldn't take much time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)