Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can mold be cleaned from cardboard?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:21 PM
  • 1 Replies

I recently picked up a free second hand dresser for my DD, painted it, and made it cute as a button! It is missing it's last drawer, so I removed the frame at the bottom and left it open to add 3 long diy "drawers" that just sit directly on the floor beneath. 

I discovered that the 88-92 count size 5-6 diaper boxes are PERFECT to slide under there to use drawer/bins. (The ones that are around 10 x 16') However, my daughter hasn't been in diapers in 7 years, and I only had a single empty box left in my closet. I spray painted it, lined the inside with cute contact paper, and started searching for 2 more boxes (3 total will fit in a row). We have a TINY place and really need the storage. 

I found one more box, however it was located in a musty old basement. The box was in good condition, except for a patch of mold. Is it possible to clean?

My plan so far is this: Brush it off and shake it out, outside. Trim off the upper flaps. Spray down the entire box thoroughly with Lysol, until it is pretty soaked. Let it dry for 2 hours. Repeat the Lysol and waiting a second time, leaving it in the sun and wind to dry for 2-3 more hours. Bring it in and seal it in two large plastic bags with a few silica gel packs. Let sit in the bag for 24 to 48 hours. Then spray paint and line with contact paper to go along with the other "drawer". 

Think this will work? Any other ideas or suggestions? 

{I'm on a very tight budget for the next 12 months and I have no clue where I'd get two more boxes, without shelling out the money to buy diapers, which definitely isn't in the budget. I also checked online for boxes in the same size, but could only get 24 in a case for far more money than I'd like.

(I only have one friend in the area with a child, and she also only has one box, but yay for finding my 3rd bin! If cleaning the second one works, that is...)}

by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Terpsichore
by Member on Aug. 28, 2017 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Try Freecycle or a similar site, and ask for those size boxes, not yet broken down. I'd even specify that diaper boxes around 10x16 work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)