Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

What do you give your children when they want a snack?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM
  • 17 Replies

I've been trying to give my kids fruits but they want more and they want sugary snacks, too.

I'm still giving them crackers, pretzels and popcorn but wonder if I should give them heathier snacks.

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM

One of my tricks is to have what I call a "grazing platter" in the fridge. On that platter I have chopped up veggies, cherry tomatoes, grapes, wedges of fruit, etc., all lined up and ready to reach in and grab. And I cheat and make sure there are more veggies on the plate than there are fruits, too, plus some cheese and crackers, but not a lot of that. I've found that if they can just grab that and go, they'll actually choose to eat the veggies rather than any not-so-good foods that might be in the house. The bonus is it works for us adults, too. ;)

iluv2read
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM

popcorn, pretzels, cheese slices, fruit slices, and naturally-flavored gummy treats

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Fruits, crackers & peanut butter, popcorn (except for my daughter who has braces), veggies & dip, yogurt, fruit leather, etc.  I try not to give them sugary stuff more than once a week or so.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

There are lots of "treats" that you can make at home: goldfish, fruit leather, frozen fruit (you can dip in chocolate)

We have never had the sugary stuff in the house, so it has never been an issue.

njmomof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quoting bamababe1975:

One of my tricks is to have what I call a "grazing platter" in the fridge. On that platter I have chopped up veggies, cherry tomatoes, grapes, wedges of fruit, etc., all lined up and ready to reach in and grab. And I cheat and make sure there are more veggies on the plate than there are fruits, too, plus some cheese and crackers, but not a lot of that. I've found that if they can just grab that and go, they'll actually choose to eat the veggies rather than any not-so-good foods that might be in the house. The bonus is it works for us adults, too. ;)

I'll have to try this.  We usually have bags of sliced apples, grapes, cheese sticks and mini carrots on hand.   Noe that the summer is here, I've been making more fruit salads with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.  Yum!

njmomof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quoting iluv2read:

popcorn, pretzels, cheese slices, fruit slices, and naturally-flavored gummy treats

That all sounds yummy:)

njmomof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Fruits, crackers & peanut butter, popcorn (except for my daughter who has braces), veggies & dip, yogurt, fruit leather, etc.  I try not to give them sugary stuff more than once a week or so.

I try to keep yogurt in the house, too.  They eat everything so fast!

My kids want sugary stuff at leaast once a day.  I'm trying to limit it to only once a day.

njmomof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

There are lots of "treats" that you can make at home: goldfish, fruit leather, frozen fruit (you can dip in chocolate)

Frozen fruit reminds me of the frozen ice pops with fresh fruit.  I need to start buying more of them.  They go quickly, too!

GwenMB
by Member on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

How do you make those?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Quoting njmomof3:

Quoting amonkeymom:

I try to keep yogurt in the house, too.  They eat everything so fast!

My kids want sugary stuff at leaast once a day.  I'm trying to limit it to only once a day.

They do eat everything too fast!  Last time I shopped, I actually hid an entire bag of groceries (pantry items) so that there'd still be some things for them later in the week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN