Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

What do you give your children when they want a snack?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been trying to give my kids fruits but they want more and they want sugary snacks, too.

I'm still giving them crackers, pretzels and popcorn but wonder if I should give them heathier snacks.

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Replies (11-17):
lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Raisins, apples, goldfish crackers, rice cakes, granola, etc

rkoloms
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting rkoloms:

There are lots of "treats" that you can make at home: goldfish, fruit leather, frozen fruit (you can dip in chocolate)

We have never had the sugary stuff in the house, so it has never been an issue.

How do you make those?

Goldfish crackers

2 ¾ cups white flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ cup canola oil, chilled in the freezer for at least 30 minutes
½ cup ice water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Orange food coloring, as desired
Olive oil cooking spray
Fine sea salt, to taste

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.

Combine the flour, nutritional yeast, baking soda, salt, paprika, cayenne, and onion powder in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle in the cold canola oil and toss with your fingers until the oil is incorporated and the flour has formed small to medium-sized clumps. Add orange food coloring to the flour mixture, if desired.

Mix the ice water and apple cider vinegar together and drizzle it over the flour, stirring with your fingers until the dough holds together.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead a few times, adding a bit more water if needed to form a cohesive dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out thinly, about 1/8-inch thick. 

Cut out fish shapes using a small cookie cutter. If you would like to make happy fishies, use the curved tip of a spoon to give them a smile and a toothpick to give them an eye.

Place the fish on the baking sheets, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with fine sea salt. 

Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden on the bottom. Slide the parchment paper covered with fish onto a wire rack to cool. 

Fruit Leather

1 cup (250 ml) fresh fruit such as peaches, pears,
pineapple, cherries, plums, or strawberries
1 cup (250 ml) applesauce
Vegetable oil or cooking spray

Peel the pears, peaches, and pineapple if using.  Remove pits and
seeds from all, and cut into chunks.  Combine with the applesauce in
an electric food processor or blender and puree until smooth.  Spread
the puree on a lightly oiled baking sheet and place in a preheated
400F (200C) oven.  Immediately reduce the temperature to 200F (90C)
and bake for 2 to 3 hours, until the puree is no longer sticky and can
be peeled from the baking sheet.  Cool and store in an airtight
container or plastic bag.  

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Quoting njmomof3:

Quoting rkoloms:

There are lots of "treats" that you can make at home: goldfish, fruit leather, frozen fruit (you can dip in chocolate)

We have never had the sugary stuff in the house, so it has never been an issue.

Frozen fruit reminds me of the frozen ice pops with fresh fruit.  I need to start buying more of them.  They go quickly, too!

why not make your own frozen ice pops? You can control what is in them!

FRUIT POPSICLES

To make popsicles you will need containers that can be frozen and will not break as the liquid inside expands.

Many stores sell inexpensive plastic popsicle molds during the summer months, or you can make popsicles in paper cups with wooden sticks (sold in craft stores).

Berries, cherries, grapes, mangos, pineapples, melons, plums, and peaches are all excellent choices for whole fruit popsicles. For sweetener, use stevia, agave nectar, honey, xylitol, vegetable glycerin or powdered evaporated cane juice to taste, or a Simple Syrup.(see below)

Fresh summer fruits, either single fruits or a combination (or thawed frozen fruits)
Sweetener to taste

1. Fill your popsicle molds with fruits to measure, then pour the fruits into a blender. Blend until pureed.
  2. Pour the fruit puree into the popsicle molds and freeze until firm--about 4 hours. If adding wooden sticks to paper cups, let the popsicles freeze until they are firm enough to hold the sticks, about an hour, then insert sticks and continue freezing.
  3. To serve, remove popsicles by dipping the mold in warm water for a few seconds.

Simple Syrup

Put two cups cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Add two cups succanat (or whatever granulated sugar you use. Turn off heat, and stir until completely dissolved. Store in the refrigerator, use for sweetening cold drinks.

irememberwhen59
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Fruits are great and so are veggies.  I used to let my kids help wash and get them ready to eat.  Apples are good , but they have an enzyme in them that can hype up some kids.  I had my son on an all natural diet.  It kept him off meds.  The food colorings and preservatives is what hyped him up.  Another thing i used to do is blend fruit and let them freeze it in popsicle forms. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM

You have to out-stubborn them!  Just keep offering the good stuff.  They will cave eventually!

hailnbray
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

we hardly buy junk, we never have candy. ill buy a bag of chips or something but when its gone its gone, i only shop every 3 weeks. our junk food is stuff we have baked like right now its brownies, (i know not that healthy but still better and cheaper then stocking up on junk at the store) at first it was hard they were complaining there is nothing to eat but after 2 weeks of fruit and veggies they now ask for it.

luci35
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Hummus, crackers, carrots, peanut butter and fruit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)