Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Is fenugreek the new wonder drug?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM
  • 5 Replies

Have you tried fenugreek?

Fenugreek Is a Mom's Best Friend

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on Jun 20, 2011 

fenugreek seeds

If you haven't heard of fenugreek, listen up -- this herb is more than just a spicy addition to curry, it's basically the wonder drug for women. This humble seed, which can be bought in a variety of forms -- tea, capsules, powder, paste -- has estrogen-like properties that combat pretty much every lady-ailment you can imagine: It magically pumps up milk production and makes menstrual cramps go away; plus, it helps to ease the symptoms of a bunch of gender-neutral maladies from high cholesterol to diabetes to eczema to low libido.

Right about now, you're probably halfway out the door to go to Whole Foods and pick up a bottle. Before you go, here are some tips on how to take fenugreek:

• To boost milk production, take one 500mg capsule of fenugreek three times a day. After 24 to 72 hours, you could be pumping out 500 times as much milk! Seriously.
  • Maybe you're not breastfeeding but need help in other "women's health" areas: PMS, lack of sex drive ... even breast enlargement (it's true!). Knock back up to 3g of the seeds in whichever form you prefer. You can even mix it up: Tea, tincture, capsules, or chew on the raw seeds, which taste kind of maple syrup-y.
  • For burns, eczema, mosquito bites, or other skin problems, dump out the contents of a capsule and mix it with warm water to form a paste, then apply it to the affected area. Or, make a cup of fenugreek tea and put the teabag (after it cools) directly on your skin. Works on kids, too!

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
matreshka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I cook a lot with fenugreek for my skin, and I love the taste!

rkoloms
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I can't stand the smell :(

PEEK05
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I knew about the breast milk production, but I didn't know about low libido. I am thinking about getting some because in a couple of weeks, I am going to need to pump at least 12 oz. (preferably 15) each week. I am leaving my son with my husband for 6 hours for 2 days a week starting next month. I am worried that since I am already almost 7 weeks past birth, that I won't be able to pump as much as I need, even though I have a great supply for my son.

bamababe1975
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I haven't tried it, but I didn't know it's good for eczema?

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Hmmm, interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)