Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

My favorite Gluten Free recipes

Posted by   + Show Post

I think there have two been threads about GF, and a couple requests for recipes.  Figured it would be easier to start its own thread.  :)   Generally speaking meals are pretty easy.   Meat, veggies, fruit, rice noodles, potatoes, rice, etc...  Read labels, use whole ingredients, use GF crackers to bread cutlets, etc...  Its really not bad at all.  Where it gets tricky is desserts.  GF desserts take a bit more work and research.  The Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix and chocolate chip cooking mix are great.  Good quality and yummy.  Here are a few of my favorite made from scratch dessert recipes.

Monster Cookies

Ingredients

• 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup raisins, optional
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.  

Options - substitute raisins for dried cranberries or cherries.  Substitute peanuts for pecans, almonds, etc...  Add butterscotch chips.  Have fun with it! 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

PALEO BISCUITS

3/4 c.  flour (any mixture of almond and coconut, I did 50/50)

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 Tbsp. cold butter

6 egg whites

Mix the dry ingredients in a food processor.   Add butter and pulse until butter is cut into the dry ingredients.  Beat egg whites until fluffy with a whisk.  Mix dry ingredients into egg whites using a fork. 

Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or butter.  Divide batter among 6 muffin cups and spread evenly.

Bake in preheated 400° oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove biscuits immediately.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Carrot Cake

• 3 c. blanched almond flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. melted coconut oil
  • 3 c. grated carrots
  • 1 c. raisins
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, honey, and coconut oil.  Add carrots, walnuts, and raisins to the wet ingredients and mix well.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.

Spread batter in 2 well greased 9 inch round cake pans or a 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 325° for 35 minutes.

Cool to room temperature.

Can spread with cream cheese frosting made from 1 block cream cheese, 1/4 c. butter, and up to 1/2 c. honey or maple syrup to taste.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The kids and I have this for breakfast some mornings.  I sub raisins for the dates and butter for the coconut oil.  It's really quite good!

Cinnamon Apple Creamed Hot Cereal

Posted By PaleoParents On October 28, 2011 @ 6:43 pm In All Recipes,Other

Cooking Time: 35 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 2 C raw walnuts
  • 1 C raw macadamia nuts
  • 1 C medjool dates, pitted and halved
  • 2 apples, peeled and diced
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 C almond milk
  • 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk

Combine nuts and dates in a food processor until ground into a fine meal, about 1 minute; set aside
Saute apples over medium heat in coconut oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes
Add nut and date mixture and cinnamon to apples and stir to incorporate, about 1 minute
Reduce heat to low and add coconut and almond milk
Stirring occasionally, let mixture cook uncovered until thickened, about 25 minutes

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/cinnamon-apple-creamed-hot-cereal/

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Meatzza

Ingredients:
2 lbs. Ground Turkey, Beef, or Pork
2 Eggs
1/2 c. Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp. Penzey's Italian Sausage Seasoning
1 c. Mozzarella Cheese
Pizza Sauce
Sauteed Veggies

Directions:
Mix ground meat, eggs, parmesan cheese & seasoning (I use my hands). Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and pat mixture in pan. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Depending on the fat content of your meat there may be fat that needs to be drained from the pan. You can also blot the top with a paper towel. Top meat base with sauce, veggies and cheese and broil until cheese is nicely browned and bubbly.

Note:  I used 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. hot Italian sausage and eliminated the Italian sausage seasoning.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This was THE favorite dish on our Thanksgiving table last year!  My DS that doesn't live at home begged to take some home with him.  I think it would also be fantastic in stuffed zucchini.

from cavemanstrong.com (yes, it's a Paleo recipe)

Sausage and Apple Stuffing

Ingredients
————————–
10 slices bacon (6 oz), diced
2 pounds pork sausage meat
2 large onions, chopped (2 c)
8 oz. medium mushrooms, sliced (2 c)
3 medium ribs of celery, chopped (1 c)
1 tsp. dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pound tart apples, cored and cut into 1/2″ pieces (3 c)
1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Cook bacon until it just begins to brown, Crumble sausage meat in same pan
and cook till done. Add onions, mushrooms and celery cooking until onions
and mushrooms are wilted. Stir in sage, thyme, salt and pepper, then the
apples. Remove from heat, add parsley.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Almond Flour Pancakes

• 1 c. almond flour
  • 1/2 c. applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 c. water in which 1/4 tsp. baking soda is dissolved
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter or coconut oil
  • pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  The batter will appear a little thicker than normal mix.  Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly oiled non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium heat.  Use the scoop to shape the pancakes.  Flip like a normal pancake when bottoms are a nice golden brown.  Let the second side brown, also, before removing from griddle.

I really enjoyed these.  I got 8 pancakes out of one batch.

michiganmom116

Apple - Walnut Skillet Cake

Apple Topping

3 1/2 Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup organic sugar or other sweetener of choice, I used 1/4 c. honey
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Cake Batter

1/2 Golden Delicious apple
1 1/2 c. almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup organic sugar or sweetener of choice, I used 1/4 c. honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger (I forgot to add it and the cake was fine)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek-style yogurt (I also forgot this and it really needs it to give the baking powder something to work with)

1. Core the apples and cut them in quarters.

2. In a 10 1/4-inch cast-iron or other oven-proof skillet, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add sweetener and stir well to combine. Arrange apples decoratively, cut sides up, in the bottom of the skillet and sprinkle walnuts evenly between the apple quarters. Cook over low heat without stirring for 30 minutes, until apples are tender and the sugar has caramelized.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Chop the apple half finely. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

4. Beat butter and sweetener with an electric mixer or hand-held whisk until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and ginger and add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream or yogurt, with mixer on low speed, and gradually beat in the flour mixture until just combined. Add chopped apple to batter, folding in gently.

5. With skillet off the heat, spoon batter over the caramelized apple topping. Spread evenly with a spatula, being careful not to disturb the apples, and leaving a 1/4-inch border of cooked apples uncovered. Bake cake in center of preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.

6. Remove skillet from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes on a rack. Slide a thin knife around the edge, place a serving plate on top of the skillet, and invert it so the cake ends up on the plate (carefully, so that it doesn’t end up on the floor!). Serve warm or room temperature with whatever topping you like (whipped cream or vanilla ice cream are naturals).

michiganmom116

5 minute paleo chocolate cake in a mug!

Mmm. Love hot chocolate cake! This cake is made in single servings in mugs. Make sure you use mugs big enough to hold the cake rising up. So delicious! Would love to hear the toppings you all come up with!

5 minute paleo chocolate cake

2.5 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1.5 tbsp maple syrup/honey
2 tsp coconut flour
1 egg
Splash of vanilla
Optional:
1-2 tbsp very dark chocolate pieces (make them small)

Place coconut oil in mug. Heat in microwave until melted. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with a fork until completely smooth. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until cake stops rising. Serve warm and enjoy!!

michiganmom116

Paleo ‘Corn’ Muffins

Posted By EstherW On November 24, 2011 @ 9:41 am In All Recipes,Baked Goods

Cooking Time: 20-25min

Serves: 5

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 1/3 C Coconut Flour
  • 1/3 C Almond Flour
  • 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (I have not used this)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1/2 C Melted Butter

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, crack eggs and whisk till fluffy.Pour eggs into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Melt butter and stir into prepared batter. Scoop into greased muffin tins and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.These would be great served plain, with some honey, in a ‘cornbread’ stuffing, or as the bread in a breakfast sandwich. Enjoy!

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/paleo-corn-muffins/

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Paleo Monkey Bread

Traditional monkey bread is made from canned biscuits...ew! This homemade version is a great breakfast treat for the holidays. Or it can function as a yummy dessert. I made my bread in a 9x11 pan but feel free to try any pan you want. Muffin tins could even be fun. I also only used a little bit of ghee. You can feel free to double or triple that for extra goo!

Paleo Monkey Bread

4 cups almond flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp oil (I used almond)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 maple sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp ghee (melted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl mix almond flour, salt and baking soda. In small bowl mix oil, maple syrup, eggs and lemon juice. Combine wet and dry until well combined. In small bowl mix maple sugar and cinnamon. Drop teaspoon sized balls of batter into the maple sugar mixture. Roll, then place coated batter ball into a greased pan. Once all of the batter is rolled, pour melted ghee over the balls. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until done (baking time will vary based on pan). Serve and enjoy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)