Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Comfort foods lightened up!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • 37 Replies

Now that it's getting cooler,are there any favorite comfort foods you've been dying to make?

Have you lightened up any of your comfort foods?

I'm making beef stroganoff tonight and am using light cream cheese and sour cream. Every bit helps =)

by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I love Fall because of the foods and I love to cook.  I do try to use the lower fat cream cheeses and sour creams to thicken dishes.  I add more root vegetables and take out some of the meat.  I do love beef stew though and that is one reicpe I won't try to lighten up!  LOL

PEEK05
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Hot chocolate. I know it's a drink but I spoil myself with hot chocolate during the fall/winter.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I love fall and cooking in the fall.  All summer long we grill and have salads.. So its fun to get back in the kitchen and cook.  

We use a lot of fresh  produces and with a lot more pasta dishes in the all I try to add more veggies and stick with a whole grain pasta.  Not heavy sauces.  I froze a lot of tomatoes this year.

bhwrn1
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

dips! I use fat free greek yogurt instead of sour cream

deedee3849
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

Hot chocolate. I know it's a drink but I spoil myself with hot chocolate during the fall/winter.

I just bought some today. I love it too =) I saw they had a new one that was cappuccino-cocoa. I really wanted to try it but went with regular because the kids enjoy it too. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it lol.

deedee3849
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Quoting bhwrn1:

I want to try that. I was wondering if the greek yogurt would work in stroganoff?

deedee3849
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Quoting batjmom:

I love fall and cooking in the fall.  All summer long we grill and have salads.. So its fun to get back in the kitchen and cook.  

We use a lot of fresh  produces and with a lot more pasta dishes in the all I try to add more veggies and stick with a whole grain pasta.  Not heavy sauces.  I froze a lot of tomatoes this year.

I didn't get to freeze much. Many of our peppers had rotten spots on them even thoughthey were really small. Must have been a very wet summer. I got one bag of peppers, diced and a bag of onions and a bunch of hot peppers for the freezer and that's it this year.

bhwrn1
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I don't see why not. It works pretty well as a substitute with dips. The texture is a bit off, but in the strogonoff it's all warmed through and such

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting bhwrn1:

I want to try that. I was wondering if the greek yogurt would work in stroganoff?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

darbyakeep45
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM

That sounds really tasty mama!  I'll have to think about that...

darbyakeep45
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Good ideas:)

Quoting TerriC:

I love Fall because of the foods and I love to cook.  I do try to use the lower fat cream cheeses and sour creams to thicken dishes.  I add more root vegetables and take out some of the meat.  I do love beef stew though and that is one reicpe I won't try to lighten up!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN