Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

20 minutes true?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM
  • 15 Replies
Is it true that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to signal that you're full?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on May. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
That's what I've heard for a long time!! That's why smaller more frequent meals are better.. I don't think my brain ever knows when I'm full. I swear its always thinking about food, which makes me constantly hungry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty true, if your leptins are working.  Eating several small meals and snacks throughout the day dulls the effect the leptins will have, so people eat and eat and eat and don't feel full.  Try fasting (skipping a meal or two) to reset the leptins, and you'll find that you'll start to get that "I'm full" feeling. 

If you're worried about overeating, then drink a large glass of water before eating, and eat slower.

tnvplus2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Interesting thanks :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Pretty true, if your leptins are working.  Eating several small meals and snacks throughout the day dulls the effect the leptins will have, so people eat and eat and eat and don't feel full.  Try fasting (skipping a meal or two) to reset the leptins, and you'll find that you'll start to get that "I'm full" feeling. 

If you're worried about overeating, then drink a large glass of water before eating, and eat slower.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I thought you were going to ask if 20 minutes is allwe need for exercising but glad you asked about this also!
Thanks rhonda i will have to try that fasting trick that way i can remember when i am satisfied instead of full from eating my meals. It never helps when i am either at dh's parents house nor at my mom's house because she keeps telling me to eat sam's food that he leaves on his plate and i keep telling her (my mom) and aunt april that i don't need to do that no matter who told them that rule. The rule that states that the parent either mother or father has to eat the food that is still on their child(s) plate(s)! I swear i don't know where they heard that nonsense no wonder most moms are overweight if they refer to that STUPID rule imo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsTBailey:

I thought you were going to ask if 20 minutes is allwe need for exercising but glad you asked about this also!
Thanks rhonda i will have to try that fasting trick that way i can remember when i am satisfied instead of full from eating my meals. It never helps when i am either at dh's parents house nor at my mom's house because she keeps telling me to eat sam's food that he leaves on his plate and i keep telling her (my mom) and aunt april that i don't need to do that no matter who told them that rule. The rule that states that the parent either mother or father has to eat the food that is still on their child(s) plate(s)! I swear i don't know where they heard that nonsense no wonder most moms are overweight if they refer to that STUPID rule imo

That RULE helped me gain extra weight after having my kids. LOL

Try watching portion sizes, too.  We don't NEED 16 oz. steaks or 8 oz. chicken breasts on our plate; 4 oz. is plenty.  I limit myself to 1/2 c. of any starch/starchy veggie or fruit at meals.  Fresh or steamed veggies are where the vitamins are/calories are not, so eat up to 2 - 3 cups of those at a meal.  Then, tell your body that it's been FED and doesn't need to be FULL.

mandee1503
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I would never eat after my daughter. Of course I have this issue with other peoples food in general.

I could imagine eating after a child, if you haven't eaten a full plate yourself.

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by Juanita on May. 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I've always heard it was true.
MrsTBailey
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Unfortunately i would be all done eating the food off my plate and its usually thanksgiving type of dinners is what is served; turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, country crock crap, stuffing, coleslaw, and then dessert. After i finish my plate i am full and sam hardly eats his at all and i only put one small spoonful of everything that he likes on his plate and few pieces of turkey, and dinner roll. Of course i want to save room for the dessert but my mom and her sister (aunt april) oh and forgot grandma (my mom's mother) all say you have to eat sam's food as well thats what a GOOD mother does! They always look at me funny when i tell them that i don't need to eat his food at all and then they turn on reid (my hubby) and say well then you have to eat sam's food that way you will be a GOOD father! I told him in front of them that he doesn't need to eat it because he had already had 2 platefuls already but he did and then he was overstuffed and bloated plus he told me that he felt terrible afterwards. Thats why i stopped being the "GOOD mother" that they wanted me to be!

Quoting mandee1503:

I would never eat after my daughter. Of course I have this issue with other peoples food in general.

I could imagine eating after a child, if you haven't eaten a full plate yourself.

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If my family did that I would laugh. My dd is not the best eater. She will put things in her mouth then put them back, or try to hand them to me. UGH! LoL

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Unfortunately i would be all done eating the food off my plate and its usually thanksgiving type of dinners is what is served; turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, country crock crap, stuffing, coleslaw, and then dessert. After i finish my plate i am full and sam hardly eats his at all and i only put one small spoonful of everything that he likes on his plate and few pieces of turkey, and dinner roll. Of course i want to save room for the dessert but my mom and her sister (aunt april) oh and forgot grandma (my mom's mother) all say you have to eat sam's food as well thats what a GOOD mother does! They always look at me funny when i tell them that i don't need to eat his food at all and then they turn on reid (my hubby) and say well then you have to eat sam's food that way you will be a GOOD father! I told him in front of them that he doesn't need to eat it because he had already had 2 platefuls already but he did and then he was overstuffed and bloated plus he told me that he felt terrible afterwards. Thats why i stopped being the "GOOD mother" that they wanted me to be!

Quoting mandee1503:

Quoting MrsTBailey:

MrsTBailey
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
At least she doesn't hide them in other places like that one commercial i saw where the kids were hiding their veggies in i think furniture or something like that. I would hate to have to find food there lol

Quoting mandee1503:

If my family did that I would laugh. My dd is not the best eater. She will put things in her mouth then put them back, or try to hand them to me. UGH! LoL

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Quoting mandee1503:

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)