Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Coffee Just Might Save Your Life -- So Drink Up!

Posted by   + Show Post

Coffee Just Might Save Your Life -- So Drink Up!

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

coffeeHa!

I can't wait for the next time somebody eyes my enormous gallon jug of joe and smugly launches into a tirade about how much better I'd feel if I gave up coffee and how it's really quite bad for me and green tea is so much healthier.

Because I will look that haughty tea-drinker right in the face and say, "How very interesting! By the way, did you know I'm going to live longer than you? Have a nice day! Especially since your days are numbered and all." 

Then I'll smile sweetly and wink (actually, my eye will just be twitching from all the caffeine but I'll look like I'm winking).

Yes, my fellow java junkies, turns out our habit isn't such a bad one after all: A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that older adults who drink coffee have a lower risk of death overall than those who don't.

Woo-hoo!!

Take that, everybody who's ever told me I need to cut down on my coffee consumption! I AM IMMORTAL!

More from The Stir: Your Caffeine Addiction Could Do You Good

Whew, sorry. Just a little hyped-up on account of those extra few cups of coffee I drank after I read that study. Because it's good for me, awwww yeah! Which I kind of already knew, but the data on coffee is much like the data on red wine -- some say it's a wonder drug, others say it's poison.

This study tips the scales in latte-lovers' favor. Granted, researchers aren't quite sure how coffee lowers the risk of death, but they're sure the habit is connected to health somehow. Said lead researcher Neal Freedman, Ph.D.:

Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages in America, but the association between coffee consumption and risk of death has been unclear. We found coffee consumption to be associated with lower risk of death overall, and of death from a number of different causes. Although we cannot infer a causal relationship between coffee drinking and lower risk of death, we believe these results do provide some reassurance that coffee drinking does not adversely affect health.

Or, in other words, "C" is for coffee, that's good enough for me.

Coffee coffee coffee starts with C!

How many cups of coffee do you drink per day?

by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Replies (11-14):
RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on May. 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I would think so, and it's a great flavor enhancer in anything chocolate (cupcakes, frosting... YUM), but alas, I can't have it. :/

Quoting MrsTBailey:

I have read in another study somewhere that even decaf coffee has the same benefits as regular coffee

Quoting RobynS:

Boo. I am allergic to coffee!!

I also gave up caffeine almost 20 years ago, so when I did drink it, it was always decaf.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Everything in moderation. I think that coffee has antioxidants that are good for you. But if you drink a gallon a day, it may just negate the positve effects.

Quoting MrsTBailey:

Sorry OP but even coffee in massive amounts is not good for us! I drink both coffee and green tea but not to the excess as ms. Burt is doing. Besides i know exactly what she is talking about because one study the doctors are claiming that coffee is not good for us and then the next study they are saying its great for you but only in moderation "so drink up"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I was talking to my neighbor and she said exactly this the other day. lol

Quoting RobynS:

I LOVE the smell of coffee! Will go down the coffee aisle just to breath it in. Have never liked tea, though (except herbal).

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't drink coffee.   Can't stand the smell or the taste, unless it's loaded with sugar and creamer (which certainly isn't healthy for me), and the aftertaste makes me want to gag.  I guess I'll just take my chances.

I come from a long line of tea drinkers, thank you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Awww, sorry.

Quoting RobynS:

I would think so, and it's a great flavor enhancer in anything chocolate (cupcakes, frosting... YUM), but alas, I can't have it. :/

Quoting MrsTBailey:

I have read in another study somewhere that even decaf coffee has the same benefits as regular coffee

Quoting RobynS:

Boo. I am allergic to coffee!!

I also gave up caffeine almost 20 years ago, so when I did drink it, it was always decaf.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN