Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Article - A HEALTHY Low Carb Diet Includes Lots of Plants

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

One of the things I see time and again is people going heavy on the protein and fats while avoiding most vegetables and fruits when following a low-carb diet. While you're  definitely minimizing carbs by only eating meat, fat, and leafy greens, you're also missing out on the benefit of including a large variety of plant foods in your diet. 

Read the rest of the article HERE

by on May. 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on May. 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Yep I need to read this.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on May. 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Me too... been thinking about this a lot lately.

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Yep I need to read this.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I didn't read the article, but when I ate low carb, my plate was half filled with veggies, and a quarter full of meat, the other quarter full of high fiber carbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Low carb is how I eat.  I've followed this for over a year and I'm the healthiest I've been in years.  My daily food intake is typically 1/3 animal protein with the other 2/3 being veggies, little fruit, healthy fats, and seeds/nuts.

Eating veggies is an essential part of a well-balanced low-carb diet.  A person can get a lot of nutrition from animal sources, but not all nutritional needs can be met this way.  Mr. Lesnar of UFC fame found this out when he ate "Paleo" (in quotes because he didn't follow a true Paleo diet, just one super high in meats and fats) and ended up in the hospital.  Now he is totally vegetarian, which is so ironic because if he'd eaten more veggies when he ate "Paleo" then he probably would have been fine.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM
I actually like eating low carb; not atkins but low carb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting celestegood:

So do I!  I actually eat a larger variety of tastier dishes than I ever did when I was eating "normally."  I don't use anything special, just real whole foods. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Hmmm, sounds very healthy!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Low carb is how I eat.  I've followed this for over a year and I'm the healthiest I've been in years.  My daily food intake is typically 1/3 animal protein with the other 2/3 being veggies, little fruit, healthy fats, and seeds/nuts.

Eating veggies is an essential part of a well-balanced low-carb diet.  A person can get a lot of nutrition from animal sources, but not all nutritional needs can be met this way.  Mr. Lesnar of UFC fame found this out when he ate "Paleo" (in quotes because he didn't follow a true Paleo diet, just one super high in meats and fats) and ended up in the hospital.  Now he is totally vegetarian, which is so ironic because if he'd eaten more veggies when he ate "Paleo" then he probably would have been fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I actually aim for eating like that! Not that I do all the time-I'm working on it. But I am getting there!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting celestegood:

So do I!  I actually eat a larger variety of tastier dishes than I ever did when I was eating "normally."  I don't use anything special, just real whole foods. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I tend to lean toward low carb eating, and I never eat mostly meats!

I eat a half a plate of veggies at lunch and dinner; the rest is 25% lean meat, 25% whole grained bread/grain.

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on May. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Quoting celestegood:

Hmmm, sounds very healthy!

Quoting michiganmom116:

What made him sick enough to end up in the hosp?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN