Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living
Does anyone have any ocd symptoms/problems?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Replies (11-18):
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I'm a horrible proofreader, I have to re read things over & over. Curious though, how is ocd and proofreading linked?

Quoting Lolafaraday:

OCD is terrible. I have lots of rituals and tics that I just have to do. They are usually coupled with severe anxiety. It drives me crazy when people laugh and say they are OCD because they are good proofreaders. I get so anxious I am not a good proofreader, I can hardly look at what I have written without cutting it to pieces and bursting into tears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I think everyone has a certain way to do things... I know my biggest set back is that I will either not clean or I will clean really well. Like I put so much effort into it that it doesn't get done as much as it should... but I was diagnosed with an OCD in high school because I count to five... all the time... I *think* it is better but maybe not... I told someone when our fourth was born that there was something about being a family of five and she said "five kids?" We are now expecting number 5. I don't think it has anything to do with the OCD, I count things, my fingers, times I run my hair through my finger... everything is one, two, three, four, five... hard to explain... they said it was stressed induced or from being tramautized when I was five. Don't want to talk about it but it is why my kids are always within ear shot and don't play outside alone.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Care to share your ocd problems?

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Yes.

pregnant   
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [food & clothing] shall be added unto you.

alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I've heard a lot of people have the counting problem, I completely understand. I clean the same way too. I'm horrible with nik nacks once I find a spot for them that's where they stay, if someone touches them I have to put them back exactly how they were. I'm sorry about what happened when you were 5.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I think everyone has a certain way to do things... I know my biggest set back is that I will either not clean or I will clean really well. Like I put so much effort into it that it doesn't get done as much as it should... but I was diagnosed with an OCD in high school because I count to five... all the time... I *think* it is better but maybe not... I told someone when our fourth was born that there was something about being a family of five and she said "five kids?" We are now expecting number 5. I don't think it has anything to do with the OCD, I count things, my fingers, times I run my hair through my finger... everything is one, two, three, four, five... hard to explain... they said it was stressed induced or from being tramautized when I was five. Don't want to talk about it but it is why my kids are always within ear shot and don't play outside alone.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Care to share your ocd problems?

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Yes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I lock the door at night since we live in the country. Even though I KNOW it's locked I check it at least twice if not 3 times. The food in my cabinets have to be in order by box size or it drives me nuts. :( same with canned goods. I check and double check to make sure sharp objects are put way up and out of reach. It's the same thing every night.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

What things are you ocd about?

Quoting tnvplus2:

Yes I do and it drives me nuts. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM
I'm the same way with locked doors. I lock my car door, house doors, I even make sure the sheds are locked (when we haven't been in them), all doors have to be shut too, except my kids room & bathroom. Having the windows open is really hard on me, I get up almost every night 2 or 3 times to make sure everything is ok, I hate having them open.... This post is making me realize I have a lot of ocd problems!!

Quoting tnvplus2:

I lock the door at night since we live in the country. Even though I KNOW it's locked I check it at least twice if not 3 times. The food in my cabinets have to be in order by box size or it drives me nuts. :( same with canned goods. I check and double check to make sure sharp objects are put way up and out of reach. It's the same thing every night.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Quoting tnvplus2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM
I drive my husband crazy with the things I do. If he locks the door(or claims he did) I will toss and turn until I check myself. Some events that occurred a couple years ago triggered my OCD I believe. At least that's when I definitely noticed my habits.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

I'm the same way with locked doors. I lock my car door, house doors, I even make sure the sheds are locked (when we haven't been in them), all doors have to be shut too, except my kids room & bathroom. Having the windows open is really hard on me, I get up almost every night 2 or 3 times to make sure everything is ok, I hate having them open.... This post is making me realize I have a lot of ocd problems!!

Quoting tnvplus2:

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Quoting tnvplus2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Haha, exactly the same! From hubby, to tosing and turning, to getting up! I don't know what triggered mine, I've done that since I was little. One time my brother jumped out of the closet and scared me, ever since then I had to make sure doors were shut, but the locking I've done for as long as I can remember.

Quoting tnvplus2:

I drive my husband crazy with the things I do. If he locks the door(or claims he did) I will toss and turn until I check myself. Some events that occurred a couple years ago triggered my OCD I believe. At least that's when I definitely noticed my habits.

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Quoting tnvplus2:

Quoting alyciajoseph:

Quoting tnvplus2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayasdaughter
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I know this is old but..I have severe OCD and people wouldn't know it because I mostly suffer from the "obsessive" part. I have to see a therapist twice a month, I take 300mg of effexor a day and take Lorazepam as needed. People usually find out about my OCD when I have a panic attack when I can't stop going over something in my head. I have a huge fear of death and I obsess about it all the time :( I don't know how to make it stop. My symptoms first popped up when I was in 3rd grade I was very afraid of germs and I missed 5 weeks of school because of my fears. I washed my hands so excessivley that they bled and I was very skinny because I was afraid all of my food was contaminated. I am not so much of a clean freak but if someone gives me a cleaning task then I cannot figure out when to stop. I am dusting, rearrange things until they are perfect, it's exhasting. I hate OCD and I wish it didn't exist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN