Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Grinding and Clenching Teeth

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 22 Replies
Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions? This is causing me so much pain. I've barely been able to eat because when I chew my jaws hurt and the pain shoots up my face to my temples. I have headaches, ear pain and my teeth are super sensitive. At first I would only do it in my sleep but I've found myself now doing it at work of anytime I feel stressed :(
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

When you sleep do you use a mouth guard? They have ones for people who grind teeth. When you are stressed have you considered doing something different. Like get a squeeze ball? Something to take your attention from your teeth.

Maybe brush with Synsodyne, so it can help make your teeth less painful when eating. Try to avoid going from hot to cold, that will send shocks through your teeth.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM

My husband used to have the same problem.  He had to get a mouth guard until he learned a different way to deal with stress.

smarlis01
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Quoting mandee1503:

When you sleep do you use a mouth guard? They have ones for people who grind teeth. When you are stressed have you considered doing something different. Like get a squeeze ball? Something to take your attention from your teeth.

Maybe brush with Synsodyne, so it can help make your teeth less painful when eating. Try to avoid going from hot to cold, that will send shocks through your teeth.

I don't have a mouthguard but my dentist has suggested it. The only thing is my dental insurance doesn't cover it. She said they can try putting it on my medical insurance put I'd have to pay $500 upfront and wait for reimbursement if any.

I do use the Sensodyne Pronamel. It helps a ton with sensitivity.

I agree I definitely need to find ways to manage stress!
smarlis01
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Quoting michiganmom116:

My husband used to have the same problem.  He had to get a mouth guard until he learned a different way to deal with stress.

Did he only do it at night? How long did it take for him to stop?
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Yes, only at night during sleep.  I'd say it took about 6 months after him getting a mouth guard for him to stop.  All the mouth guard did was protect his teeth.

Quoting smarlis01:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Did he only do it at night? How long did it take for him to stop?

mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Until you can get one made go buy a football one. They are cheap and will work for the time being.

Quoting smarlis01:

Quoting mandee1503:

I don't have a mouthguard but my dentist has suggested it. The only thing is my dental insurance doesn't cover it. She said they can try putting it on my medical insurance put I'd have to pay $500 upfront and wait for reimbursement if any.

I do use the Sensodyne Pronamel. It helps a ton with sensitivity.

I agree I definitely need to find ways to manage stress!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I've had this problem for years, I do it so bad that about 10yrs ago my jaw started popping out of joint. I've heard of quite a few different mouth guards you can buy at the store. Though I've never tried one, I just deal with it. I grind my teeth only at night, but I find myself clinching all the time, and I've started biting down on my cheek while I breastfeed. Maybe try chewing gum during the day, or sucking on a hard candy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I just saw one from walmart a clear one with red tips for $3 but it said it was all out of stock. I am going to look through my cvs app to see how much they are there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smarlis01
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Quoting alyciajoseph:

I've had this problem for years, I do it so bad that about 10yrs ago my jaw started popping out of joint. I've heard of quite a few different mouth guards you can buy at the store. Though I've never tried one, I just deal with it. I grind my teeth only at night, but I find myself clinching all the time, and I've started biting down on my cheek while I breastfeed. Maybe try chewing gum during the day, or sucking on a hard candy.

Ouch! Jaw popping out of joint?? Sounds painful!

I started when I was nursing my dd. I didn't know I was doing it but my teeth got really sensitive and I was getting headaches. The dentist said its because my sleep was interrupted nursing through the night. My dd weaned over a year ago and I still do it :(
smarlis01
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Quoting MrsTBailey:

I just saw one from walmart a clear one with red tips for $3 but it said it was all out of stock. I am going to look through my cvs app to see how much they are there

Thx! I'm going to look online and see what I can find
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)