Tips to increase fruits and vegetables in your diet
Eat a variety of food groups from all the food groups every day. Check the strategies you will try:
- Keep cleaned fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator -- ready to eat.
- Have vegetables with low-fat dip for a snack.
- Try commercial prepackaged salads and stir-fry mixes to save prep time.
- Add vegetables to casseroles, stews and soups.
- Drink 100% fruit juice instead of fruit-flavored drinks or soda pop.
- Have fruit for dessert.
- Keep a bowl of apples, bananas and/or oranges on the table.
- Choose a side salad made with a variety of leafy greens.
- Bake with raisin, date or prune puree to reduce fat and increase fiber.
- Add lettuce, onions, peppers and/or tomatoes to sandwiches.
- Order veggie toppings on your pizza.
- Enjoy fruit smoothies for breakfast or snacks.
- Pack fresh or dried fruits for quick snacks.
taken from http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn595w.htm#tips