Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Where do i start? what needs to be done?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
i want to get my life back! between my weight, blood pressure, health issues im having, stress, etc..
not sure where to start. i did take a step towards my headaches. i went to the eye doctor and there putting prism in my glasses to see if it will help with my headaches.. if no luck there is a possibility i could need a head scan done.
i also am making a apt to get my high blood pressure under control.
i know the doctors dont want you taking care of everything in one apt so not sure if i should just request blood work for everything and go from there, what do you think?
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask for a full panel, that way when you go back you can know what needs work on. Good luck, start slow and build momentum to change everything over to a healthier lifestyle.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I would ask if they can check for everything. Atleast this way you'll know all at once and not have stuff popping up here and there. Good luck!
alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I always say, start by drinking more water too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Quoting mandee1503:

It doesn't hurt to ask for a full panel, that way when you go back you can know what needs work on. Good luck, start slow and build momentum to change everything over to a healthier lifestyle.

I'd do this too.  There's no reason (besides the $$) that a doctor can't do full blood panel from a couple of vials of blood and give you a good physical exam on top of it.  I see a general practitioner and that's what she does.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Quoting alyciajoseph:

I always say, start by drinking more water too.

Great advice!

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Losing weight and learning to control your stress with relaxation techniques will help your high blood pressure, as will changing your diet to exclude processed foods (75% of the average person's sodium intake is from processed foods) and eating more fresh whole foods.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Drinking more water, getting your stress under control, losing weight, reducing your HBP may do a LOT toward alleviating your headaches.

One other tip (that a lot of people think I'm crazy to mention) is to cut out grains.  My 13 yr old son used to get migraines at least twice a week.  I got them 2 to 3 times a month.  We cut out grains (no bread, cereal, pasta, etc.) and in less than a month we noticed that we weren't getting headaches any more, and we've had none in the past 16 months since we changed our diet.  There's a science behind that, but I won't go into it unless you're very interested.

charnrich26
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
i couldnt live with out my pasta lol
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I understand, but ask yourself this question:  can you live without your headaches?  It could be unrelated, but it could be one tradeoff for another.

I LOVE sweets, but I'm diabetic.  Sweets cause untold amounts of problems for me, some seen and some unseen.  I could live with sweets along with taking megadoses of insulin, but I chose to eliminate them along with the grains.  I feel the best that I've felt in over 17 years.

We always tell skeptics to cut out the foods for 30 days.  If, after that time, you don't feel it's helped, then add them back to your diet.  I did (added bread back) for one meal.  My family requested that I never eat bread again (apparently my mood swings are horrible when I eat grain foods) not to mention I had a raging migraine for the rest of the day and and aching joints and muscles the next day

Quoting charnrich26:

i couldnt live with out my pasta lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN