Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

September is National Cholesterol Month

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 12 Replies

National Cholesterol Education Month: 6 Reasons You Need Cholesterol

Monday, September 17, 2012

September is National Cholesterol Education Month.  Cholesterol has been made to be the “bad guy” in mainstream media and conventional medicine, but did you know that the proper functioning of your body depends upon it?  We decided that it is time to focus on the positive aspects of cholesterol, so here are a few reminders of why it is essential to life:

Did you know that cholesterol…

...is needed for synthesizing producing the hormones progesterone, testosterone, estrogen,
   and cortisol
...is the essential building block of every cell of your body
...ensures that the brain functions properly, and without it, it becomes difficult to focus and
   memory loss occurs
...assists the liver in producing bile acids which are essential for digestion of fats and 
   ridding the body of waste
...has beneficial effects on immune system
...is needed to make vitamin D

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaD_Cooks
by New Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Knowing your cholesterol levels is very important.  I recently donated blood and it gives you your cholesterol levels...and mine was very alarming!  For a 29yo female, having a cholesterol of 199 was scary.  Anything under 200 is "normal." For me that was too close for comfort.  Later that month my work did a wellness screening and gave me all my cholesterol numbers: good, bad, total, etc. Bad cholesterol was high, good cholesterol was too low. I went right to my doctor and made a plan to get this under control.  I already changed my diet and am working out 2-3 times per week, so my doctor didn't put me on any meds yet.  We are rechecking in a month or so.  But I just couldn't believe that I would have to worry about it at such a young age.  Since cutting out processed foods my levels dropped to 192!  I have seen such a difference in a short time, and I am so glad I found out about my cholesterol levels.  It is more important than you think.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Quoting MamaD_Cooks:

Knowing your cholesterol levels is very important.  I recently donated blood and it gives you your cholesterol levels...and mine was very alarming!  For a 29yo female, having a cholesterol of 199 was scary.  Anything under 200 is "normal." For me that was too close for comfort.  Later that month my work did a wellness screening and gave me all my cholesterol numbers: good, bad, total, etc. Bad cholesterol was high, good cholesterol was too low. I went right to my doctor and made a plan to get this under control.  I already changed my diet and am working out 2-3 times per week, so my doctor didn't put me on any meds yet.  We are rechecking in a month or so.  But I just couldn't believe that I would have to worry about it at such a young age.  Since cutting out processed foods my levels dropped to 192!  I have seen such a difference in a short time, and I am so glad I found out about my cholesterol levels.  It is more important than you think.

I wouldn't be as concerned with cholesterol level as I would be with the LDL and HDL levels.  I agree that cutting out processed foods (and grain products for us) is very important. 

tnvplus2
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I did not know that. I'm not even sure what my cholesterol levels are. Thank you for posting this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I'm 46, almost 47, and diabetic.  My overall cholesterol is 187, down from 311 2 years ago.  My LDL is 78 and HDL is 49, also much better than LDL of 111 and HDL of 41  that I had 2 years ago. 

I didn't use a statin to lower my cholesterol; in fact, I was ON a statin when my numbers were so high.   I quit using them several months before I made the decision to change my diet to exclude grains, sugars, and most dairy and eat mostly whole foods on a low-carb diet.  No fake butter or egg substitutes here:  we eat red meat several days a week, real butter, and eggs every day.  I've lost weight, inches, along with depression, high cholesterol, mental fog, IBS, and PMS.

YAY!

Rota
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Please do not get hung up on numbers. It's the ratio that is more important and the size of the particles. These numbers that are spouted off by physicians come from the pharamceutical reps. The pharmaceutical industry is "telling" the physicians that lower numbers are "better" ONLY so that they can sell more statin drugs. Cholesterol is not the enemy and does not, by itself, cause heart disease. It is the inflammation that causes the havoc on your cirulatory system. That is why when you rid your diet of processed foods and sugars,  eat natural foods ( including meats if you so desire), eggs, butter and lots of vegetables, you will feel better and your numbers will also be better. There are absolutely no redeeming features of sugar and processed foods.

mandee1503
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Thanks for sharing. Idk my numbers but know my levels are good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rota:

Please do not get hung up on numbers. It's the ratio that is more important and the size of the particles. These numbers that are spouted off by physicians come from the pharamceutical reps. The pharmaceutical industry is "telling" the physicians that lower numbers are "better" ONLY so that they can sell more statin drugs. Cholesterol is not the enemy and does not, by itself, cause heart disease. It is the inflammation that causes the havoc on your cirulatory system. That is why when you rid your diet of processed foods and sugars,  eat natural foods ( including meats if you so desire), eggs, butter and lots of vegetables, you will feel better and your numbers will also be better. There are absolutely no redeeming features of sugar and processed foods.

I agree about the numbers, although high cholesterol levels are usually an indication that SOMETHING needs to change.  It's a shame that doctors are so quick to write a prescription vs. telling people to drop the crap food.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM
I don't know my numbers, but would like to know.
MamaD_Cooks
by New Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm not trying to get hung up on numbers, it was just the kick in the butt I needed to realize that I was not healthy. I suffer from weekly migraines, I am always sick and run down, and something needed to change. Sometimes seeing the numbers just makes you realize how important it is to take care of yourself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)