Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

article - Is It Healthy?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
  • 7 Replies

Is It Healthy? Egg Beaters.

source

Eggs are a staple in just about every person’s home. Even those who are strict vegetarians or “vegan-ish,” choose to incorporate the incredible, edible egg. Why? Because they taste good, are low in calories, provide an excellent source of high quality protein, and offer an assortment of other nutrients which are important to our health:

• Choline: this nutrient, found in the egg yolk, contributes to fetal brain development, aids in maintaining the structure of brain cell membranes, and is a vital piece of the neurotransmitter that helps relay messages from the brain to the muscles. Two eggs provide ~250 mg of choline (~ half of the recommended daily intake for pregnant and breastfeeding women).
  • Lutein and zeaxanthin: two antioxidants, also found in egg yolks, which help prevent macular degeneration. Research shows that the lutein from eggs may be more bioavailable than lutein from other food sources (source).

So then how did eggs get such a bad rap?

Cholesterol.

For years it was believed that consuming eggs contributed to high cholesterol levels. Since high cholesterol leads to a slew of health problems, eggs became the bad guy. However, people still wanted to eat eggs, just without the guilt and negative health consequences. Liquid egg product was born and even in a wide variety of flavors (Southwestern style, Garden vegetable, etc).

source

Egg Beaters seem to be the answer to our low cholesterol needs. But…IS it healthy?

WHOLE Egg vs. Egg Beaters (EB)

source

Obviously, the nutrition facts of the egg beaters seem better than that of a whole egg, but that’s when you have to dig a little deeper. Let’s take a look at the ingredients.

WHOLE Egg vs. Egg Beaters (EB)

Ingredients in an egg: egg

Ingredients in egg beaters:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

You won't find all THOSE ingredients in here!!

source

I’ll just say this. You can’t beat the power of whole foods. Egg Beaters may be lower in calories, fat, and cholesterol, but that does not mean they’re healthy.

When it comes to cholesterol, researchers have found that eggs barely influence cholesterol levels. If you eat 1-2 eggs a couple times a week, MOST cholesterol levels will not be affected.

Also, even though nutrients may be added back in to Egg Beaters to enhance the nutritional quality, “the problem with this nutrient specific approach is that science has yet to identify hundreds of other nutrients and their interaction amongst each other when naturally present in a food. Selecting a few nutrients and focusing on them instead of on a whole food is part of a larger problem in the US food system today.” (source)

It is my educated opinion to nix the Egg Beaters and stick to the real deal. You can’t beat eating the way nature intended.

QUESTION: How do you feel about Egg Beaters? Do you eat them often?

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I'm an egg eater, I don't bother with egg beaters or any other type of imitation egg! I have a new neighbor to get fresh eggs from too! YAY
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I've never eaten egg beaters before. I always eat whole eggs.

asaffell
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I've never understood the fear of real eggs. We stick to food.

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:51 AM

No to Egg Beaters.  I eat eggs, usually scrambled or hard boiled.  And I eat the whole egg, not just the whites.

LaDonna_d
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Naturally perfect (organic) eggs for me & mine!
nicoleeoh
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM
I've known for years egg beaters were NOT good for you. I work at a bar/restaurant at a golf course and everytime someone orders an omelet and pays the "upcharge" requesting egg beaters I roll my eyes inside. Your paying more money for more crap to save a few calories. I mean I don't throw stones, I waste my money on fast food more than I should but I also roll my eyes at myself when I do :p
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN