Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

8 Ingredients You Never Want to See on Your Nutrition Label

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

This is a multi-page article, so I'm just going to post the first page and then a link so you can read the rest:

8 Ingredients You Never Want to See on Your Nutrition Label

The year was 1950, and The Magic 8-Ball had just arrived in stores. It looked like a toy, but it wasn't. It was a future-telling device, powered by the unknown superpowers that lived inside its cheap plastic shell. Despite a bit of an attitude—"Don't count on it," "My reply is no"—it was a huge success. Americans, apparently, want to see their futures.

A few decades later, Congress passed the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act that, among other things, turned the 45,000 food products in the average supermarket into fortune-telling devices. Americans inexplicably yawned. I'm trying to change that. Why? The nutrition label can predict the future size of your pants and health care bills.

Unfortunately, these labels aren't as clear and direct as the Magic 8-Ball. Consider the list of ingredients: The Food and Drug Administration has approved more than 3,000 additives, most of which you've never heard of. But the truth is, you don't have to know them all. You just need to be able to parse out the bad stuff. Do that and you'll have a pretty good idea how your future will shape up—whether you'll end up overweight and unhealthy or turn out to be fit, happy, and energized.

Here, I've identified 8 ingredients you never want to see on the nutrition label. Should you put down products that contain them? As the Magic 8-Ball would say: Signs point to yes.

Read the rest at http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/8-ingredients-you-never-want-see-your-nutrition-label#sharetagsfocus

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for sharing!

tnvplus2
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Thanks for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dfulce
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I just read this! If you ever wondered what "natural ingredients" were you definately want to read this.

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Oh no!! Poor beavers!! :/

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Thanks for sharing this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Did the magic 8 ball really come out in the 1950's? 

Kelly913
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Think I'll have me a big ol' bowl of beaver gland anal sacs, please! 

Kelly913
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I hate how tricky the industry is.  How much more natural can you get than beaver anal gland secretions?  But do I really want that in my food?? 

Quoting dfulce:

I just read this! If you ever wondered what "natural ingredients" were you definately want to read this.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

KCisPaulsMom
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Ugh. My son eats Cocoa Puffs every morning. Need to find him something else. It's tricky... though... because he's on the autistic spectrum... changes are tough. Additionally, he's allergic to eggs, soy, all nuts and all melons. He likes yogurt, though... may try to weave that into his morning diet.

KCisPaulsMom
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I may have found a replacement that does not contain BHA or anything icky... Barbara's Bakery makes a chocolate puff cereal. It says one of our grocery story chains (Safeway) carries it. Hopefully.. they have the chocolate one.

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

Ugh. My son eats Cocoa Puffs every morning. Need to find him something else. It's tricky... though... because he's on the autistic spectrum... changes are tough. Additionally, he's allergic to eggs, soy, all nuts and all melons. He likes yogurt, though... may try to weave that into his morning diet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)