Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

What do you think the healthiest type of milk is?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think the healthiest type of milk is?

Options:

cow

goat

soy (organic only)

soy (gmo or organic, doesn't matter)

almond

rice

hemp

oat

did I miss one?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

For non nursing kids and adults.  feel free to explain too!

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I voted for hemp, because of its omegas but its not widely available here.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
There's also flax and coconut milk, to name a few that you missed, but it's no big deal.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally, I don't think milk is necessary for non-nursing children or adults. There are other sources of calcium. We don't drink it. I do buy coconut and almond milks to use in baking and cooking. They're both low-carb (necessary for my personal diet) and full of healthy fats.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM
BTW, welcome to the group!
tnvplus2
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Honestly I have no idea. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I prefer soy to cows, but dd is more partial to cows. When we drink milk, which isn't too often.

xoxRachelxox
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

We've been buying raw milk. It's hard to get around here because when the place we usually buy it from gets it, it's sold out in a couple hours.

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I feel the same way. Ihated all forms of dairy except cheese as a kid.  I never drank milk but ate my veggies and I have high bone density, no cavities etc.

For my 2 yr old who the docs say is underweight I am looking for  drink with a bit more calories and nutrients.  He has a soy sensitivity and processed cow milk isn't something I want to give to anyone.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Personally, I don't think milk is necessary for non-nursing children or adults. There are other sources of calcium. We don't drink it. I do buy coconut and almond milks to use in baking and cooking. They're both low-carb (necessary for my personal diet) and full of healthy fats.

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Thanks! been here for a while, lurking, but now that some things in life have quieted down I want to focus on my health again :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

BTW, welcome to the group!

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Good for you!  Again, I don't think milk (or high calcium intake) is necessary past the age of weaning.  I'll throw in the argument that humans are the only mammals that consume milk past the age of weaning, and we're the only ones that consume other mammals' milk.  If osteoporosis due to lack of calcium is the huge worry, then why don't horses or elephants or other large animals have problems with osteoporosis?  Osteoporosis is more related to the other foods we eat (grains with lectins that bind minerals so we can't use them, calcium-leaching acids in sodas or even milk itself, medications, etc.) and a sedentary lifestyle than to lack of milk products in our diet.

Soy milk gives me the shivers....personal opinion.

As for what to give your LO to drink?  I make smoothies with coconut milk and they're great!  Full fat coconut milk, fruit, even kale or spinach.  My DD makes hers with a banana, nut butter, and a spoonful of cocoa.

Do YOU think your LO is underweight?  Is he sickly?  Does he have a good appetite?  He may just be naturally slender and/or small. 

Quoting matreshka:

I feel the same way. Ihated all forms of dairy except cheese as a kid.  I never drank milk but ate my veggies and I have high bone density, no cavities etc.

For my 2 yr old who the docs say is underweight I am looking for  drink with a bit more calories and nutrients.  He has a soy sensitivity and processed cow milk isn't something I want to give to anyone.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN