Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Cold and flu season?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

How do you avoid getting sick, and when you do get sick what are some of your remedies?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

To start, I won't get a flu shot.  (frustrates my doctor to NO end....)  EVERY YEAR that I've gotten one, I get respiratory flu.  If I don't get one, I don't get sick.

When out in public, I will wrap my hands in a sleeve to grab a door handle.  If I can, I'll use my butt to push open a door.  When shopping in winter, I'll leave my gloves on in the store.  I do my best to not touch my face until I have a chance to get home and wash my hands before doing anything else.  If I shake hands with another person, same thing: don't touch my face after until I get a chance to wash my hands.

With my family, if they're sick, there are no soothing kisses from me...sorry, but I can't afford to get sick.  Again, plenty of handwashing, and I'll wipe door handles, toilet handles, and phones with Lysol wipes.  I'm also sure to get outside a bit every day to clear my airways of the stuffy air.

Our diet is rich in vitamins.  We don't drink milk or eat grains, both of which contribute to inflammation/phlegm production.  We also keep away from sweets, which would raise my blood sugar levels and feed the bacteria.  I drink 80 oz. of water a day to help flush my system and stay hydrated.  If my throat gets scratchy, I'll drink ice cold drinks instead of hot:  hot increases the swelling and that will trap bacteria in my throat...cold will help shrink the swelling.  If I even feel the tiniest bit stuffy, I'll take extra vitamin C and D.

Rhonda

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I also found this:

Lemon Honey Tea Base:

Fill a jar with sliced lemons, then pour honey over it.  Store in refrigerator.  It will turn to a sort of marmalade.  When needed, put a generous dollop in a mug and add hot water.

I haven't tried it yet and I personally won't use it because of all the honey....but I won't hesitate to give it to my family members.  Honey is a natural antibiotic, and think of all the vitamin C from the lemons!

Rhonda

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Remedies?  If it's a cold I don't do much...just let it run it's course.  I do not advocate blowing noses because the force of blowing will also force the yucky mucus BACK into the sinuses.  This has been proven time and time again, because my DH insists on blowing his nose until it's raw, and he'll stay sick with a cold twice as long as anyone else in the house.  I'll use a steam vaporizer at night to ease coughing and I let the kids rest as they need it.  Oh, and spicy foods will help get mucus flowing, so we'll often have Mexican or Indian foods if anyone has a cold.  Hot soups help, too.

Flu...I let it run it's course, making sure the sick person gets plenty of liquid.  Homemade broth made from boiling soup bones or a poultry carcass with mirepoix for 24 hours is excellent for its nutrient content and easy digestion.  I'll give Tylenol only if the fever gets above 101°.  We'll do cool showers to help get the fever down, too.

Rhonda

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I had a 5 year run where I never got sick except seasonal allergies.  The next year I opted for a flu shoot since DH got H1n1 (swine flu) I had never been sicker with the flu in my life.  I refuse to get them now.  Nor will I have my children get them as those with food sensitivities should not get them and that's from the mouth of my pedi!

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I always use a neti pot with my own saline I make.  I helps with allergies, congestion and returning the sinuses to normal when they are inflamed.

I use EO's around the house, peppermint, lavender, orange, and eucalyptus.  I also have an antiviral/fungal/bacterial blend I bought but I forget what exact oils are in it.

I also love green tea with honey.  And my daily shots of ACV I got back into taking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)