Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Natural stress relief?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM
  • 12 Replies

I hate it and am embarrassed to admit I have to take anxiety meds. I think they can help for short term things but I have been on them for a while now and have talked to my doc about weaning off.  (I have PTSD and a bad neighbor situation).

What are some of your stress relief /anxiety and panic attack remedies.  I was told about theanine but haven't tried it yet.  I do hobbies when I can and being here on CM helps.  I eat pretty well and walk and do yoga.  I also use lavender EO.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Don't be embarassed.  I take anxiety meds too.  I have panic disorder, have had it for 33 years thanks to a closed head injury.  I take Klonopin.

The panic attacks are caused by the body's OVER reaction to stress.  Our natural programming has given us a "fight or flight" response to a perceived threat, and in the case of panic attacks the body just keeps reacting in a vicious cycle.  To break that cycle, you have to break the sensations.  I get up and move if I can.  I may take a drink of water or pop a piece of gum or a mint in my mouth.  Those sensations "break in" to the attack and give the body/mind something else to distract it from the "threat".  Does that make sense?

Once I break in to the cycle, I can do deep breathing to calm my body down.  If I can, I'll do some meditation (and usually fall asleep.) 

Exercise is a wonderful natural way to release endorphins.  My doctor says 30 minutes of an activity that will raise my heart rate above normal is adequate.

I love to cross stitch, ride horse, read, or take a hot bath (a rare occurrence).

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

That i exactly my issue the fight or flight response.  I want to be able to work through the disorder without meds. EMDR helped with one trauma but not the harassment I am facing now. I can't elaborate because it will probably be going to court, and even possible criminal court if one more thing happens. With a 2 year old and the hobbies I like to jewelery making and art, its hard to get enough focus time.  Meditation and listening to binaural beats with ambient music on my kindle help me at night.

Thank goodness for CM can I can jump on and off with LO home.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Don't be embarassed.  I take anxiety meds too.  I have panic disorder, have had it for 33 years thanks to a closed head injury.  I take Klonopin.

The panic attacks are caused by the body's OVER reaction to stress.  Our natural programming has given us a "fight or flight" response to a perceived threat, and in the case of panic attacks the body just keeps reacting in a vicious cycle.  To break that cycle, you have to break the sensations.  I get up and move if I can.  I may take a drink of water or pop a piece of gum or a mint in my mouth.  Those sensations "break in" to the attack and give the body/mind something else to distract it from the "threat".  Does that make sense?

Once I break in to the cycle, I can do deep breathing to calm my body down.  If I can, I'll do some meditation (and usually fall asleep.) 

Exercise is a wonderful natural way to release endorphins.  My doctor says 30 minutes of an activity that will raise my heart rate above normal is adequate.

I love to cross stitch, ride horse, read, or take a hot bath (a rare occurrence).

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well, the meds that I take are of a class that are addictive, but I take a low enough dose to keep the jitters at bay and if I DO get a panic attack then they're very short-lived.  Then again, mine aren't caused by stress...just aggravated by it. 

It sounds like you're doing what you can to cope with it.  Try the gum thing; it works for me every time. 

~hugs~

Quoting matreshka:

That i exactly my issue the fight or flight response.  I want to be able to work through the disorder without meds. EMDR helped with one trauma but not the harassment I am facing now. I can't elaborate because it will probably be going to court, and even possible criminal court if one more thing happens. With a 2 year old and the hobbies I like to jewelery making and art, its hard to get enough focus time.  Meditation and listening to binaural beats with ambient music on my kindle help me at night.

Thank goodness for CM can I can jump on and off with LO home.

Quoting michiganmom116:

ameraznkimko
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

There is an essential oil kit called Feelings Kit..it contains blends of essential oils called Valor, Harmony, Forgiveness, Inner Child, Release, and Present Time

You can read about the individual oils on this site, just look under essentiial oil blends                www.thebeautyofessentialoils.com

I also use Lavender sometimes and it helps...they also have a necklace where you can put the essential oil in so that you can inhale it that way

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for the kit info.  When I was in New Orleans I saw the most beautiful pendants with pads for oils, they were so expensive though.

Quoting ameraznkimko:

There is an essential oil kit called Feelings Kit..it contains blends of essential oils called Valor, Harmony, Forgiveness, Inner Child, Release, and Present Time

You can read about the individual oils on this site, just look under essentiial oil blends                www.thebeautyofessentialoils.com

I also use Lavender sometimes and it helps...they also have a necklace where you can put the essential oil in so that you can inhale it that way

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I love the smell of spearment and cinn.I like listening to klove.I have friends I can talk to if I start having an anxious moment.Ive gotten involved w/ activities for my daughter for special need kids.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

aindreagriffin
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, Im not a big fan of Lavender for relaxation, but I love Geranium and Neroli in a hot bath! I also meditate and along with walking and yoga, I do tai chi. And I know it sounds crazy, but I like to detress by cleaning my home. At the end, it feels so relaxing with the house is clean. :) Playing board games with the kids is also a great destressor. Basically anything I can do to get my mind of the stressors. :)

shadenn766
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this

please dont feel embarrassed..i dont take meds but here are some things that i try, hope they work for you:)

deep breathing/ relaxation

visualization/ imagery

soft music/ classical w/ a cup of tea

quiet room...read

Satan71
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone here has told you all the tings i know to do. My 13 yr old DD has performance/perfection anxiety and social phobia. She does take a low dose of a med. And goes to therapy. She practices all of the above. She says that breaking the thought process right when it starts is key. She will blast a song she loves and dance around. Or get up and go outside to breath the fresh air. Gum works for her too. But she likes a very strong mint or cinnamon flavor so it almost is too hot in your mouth at first. Then she also says keeping her sleep and exercise schedule helps alot too. Never be embarrassed to share your struggles. We all have them. Its brave to share and ask for help when you need it. ((hugs))

smarlis01
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This:

Quoting shadenn766:

please dont feel embarrassed..i dont take meds but here are some things that i try, hope they work for you:)

deep breathing/ relaxation

visualization/ imagery

soft music/ classical w/ a cup of tea

quiet room...read

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN