Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Mirena ?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 16 Replies

Is anyone on Mirena? I am 46 years old and on birth control pills , but I have high blood pressure and my Dr. wants to take me off the pill and he suggested the IUD like Mirena. Any advice would be appreciated.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I have mirena. While it's great birth control, and it stops bleeding, I've had some issues. It's like most birth control, some people have no issues others, tons. I bled no stop for almost 2 months when I got it in. I have terrible sharp shooting pain near my left ovary, which has been checked several times. I now have unpredictable bleeding. I randomly bleed, for a day. Then 2 weeks later, another, then 3 days later. It's annoying.

smarlis01
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a Mirena horror story, but I know people who have it and love it. I have one friend who's on her 2nd Mirena IUD. The doctor who inserted mine ignored my painful symptoms. It wasn't until I went to a different doctor and she did a sonogram (which my first dr failed to do) that I found out it perforated my uterus and was about to enter my abdominal cavity. I had it surgically removed 2 days later. Even the nurse who was in the recovery area after my surgery said she had one and no issues with it. But she also mentioned her dr performed regular sonograms to make sure it was positioned properly. Bottom line, ask your doc if he does sonograms to check to position and how often. You can't tell anything by looking/feeling for the strings. When I got my 2nd opinion, the dr saw the strings just fine. It took a sonogram to see that it was out of place and about to cause me more harm than it already had (back pain, irregular bleeding).
nailz98
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM

My sister ws on it for 2 years and had nothing but problems with it. She bleed for those 2 years staight and was in alot of cramps which she never had before.

alyciajoseph
by Alycia on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I'm along with the other stories I had mine taken out a a month short of 2 years. I just got my tubes tied, so I don't have to deal with birth control. I'm 24, and my bleeding never stopped, and had very similar problems like Mandee. But my sil got one and had minor problems for the first 2 years so she said, I'm not really sure because as soon as I said I was getting mine out to get my tubes tied she stopped complaining and still has hers a year later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LUCKYTRISH
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for shareing,  it is good to hear the bad side effects so that I can make me decision with an open mind, I will think about all the things I have read and talk to my husband to see if it is really worth it.

matreshka
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM
i decided to try it. My doc gave me a pamphlet and the 1 woman i knew who had it was fine with it.

I passed out in the office when it was put in but i still gave it a shot. I had heavy bleeding and cramps. I got it taken out 6 weeks later and notice i felt all over better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
enslowemily
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I had it in for 6 years, and loved it. No periods, no problems. 

alibrezzy154
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:46 AM
I really like mine. I felt really funny the couple days it was in and had a little bit of cramping. But nothing horrible and it went away within a couple of days. I've had a bit of spotting and for the last week I've had a normal period type of bleeding nothing scary or horrible. My sis in law had it and after about a year it needed to be removed be cause it got imbedded I believe is what she told me. Itotally agree it completely depends on the person.
laurensainz
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I had one inserted after my first child. My issue was similar. It would cause me to bleed after sex (the next day). Not alot and I don't recall cramping. However, it was annoying. It got to a point where I based my decision to have sex on if I wanted to bleed the next day or not. Not something I wanted to continue doing, so I opted to take a low dose birth control pill after my second child.

Quoting mandee1503:

I have mirena. While it's great birth control, and it stops bleeding, I've had some issues. It's like most birth control, some people have no issues others, tons. I bled no stop for almost 2 months when I got it in. I have terrible sharp shooting pain near my left ovary, which has been checked several times. I now have unpredictable bleeding. I randomly bleed, for a day. Then 2 weeks later, another, then 3 days later. It's annoying.

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I didnt get an iud I opted for the depo shot.I got a shot every 3 mo.Didnt have any issues and no periods.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN