Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Healthy holiday cooking

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you cook healthy foods for the holidays?

What are some of your favorite dishes to make?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

No not really. This is comfort food time for me.

Heather2001
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Nope

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It's so EASY to have yummy "comfort" foods that are healthy!

I'm making the stuffing with grain-free cornbread (homemade) and using mushrooms as an added filler.  No Stovetop here.

I'll be adding crumbled bacon and sauteed mushrooms to green beans instead of the typical heavy cream of mushroom soup and french-fried onions.

No mashed potatoes and gravy.  There's no value to them and all they'll do is fill you up with empty calories.

Butternut squash with a bit of butter and honey instead of the sweet potato casserole loaded with sugar and marshmallows.

No rolls, for the same reason as the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Fresh broccoli salad instead of broccoli casserole with it's heavy sauces and cheese.

Fresh cranberries, oranges, and apples are ground together and lightly sweetened with honey instead of the sugar-heavy cranberry sauce.

Desserts:  pies will have almond flour crusts (yummier than regular crusts and much more healthy) and the lowest amount of honey needed for sweetening.  I have a gingerbread pumpkin trifle on the menu, but the gingerbread will be made grain-free, the pumpkin filling is made from scratch (no boxed mixes involved), and the whipped cream will be made from real cream, not a bunch of chemicals.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Oh yeah veggies and with sweets I substitute sometimes the fatty add ins for a healthier add in.

tayanddyl
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I don't

MamaMandee
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

No, it is a special treat so I dont think about it. 

Juniper53098
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Would you share some of your recipes?  

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's so EASY to have yummy "comfort" foods that are healthy!

I'm making the stuffing with grain-free cornbread (homemade) and using mushrooms as an added filler.  No Stovetop here.

I'll be adding crumbled bacon and sauteed mushrooms to green beans instead of the typical heavy cream of mushroom soup and french-fried onions.

No mashed potatoes and gravy.  There's no value to them and all they'll do is fill you up with empty calories.

Butternut squash with a bit of butter and honey instead of the sweet potato casserole loaded with sugar and marshmallows.

No rolls, for the same reason as the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Fresh broccoli salad instead of broccoli casserole with it's heavy sauces and cheese.

Fresh cranberries, oranges, and apples are ground together and lightly sweetened with honey instead of the sugar-heavy cranberry sauce.

Desserts:  pies will have almond flour crusts (yummier than regular crusts and much more healthy) and the lowest amount of honey needed for sweetening.  I have a gingerbread pumpkin trifle on the menu, but the gingerbread will be made grain-free, the pumpkin filling is made from scratch (no boxed mixes involved), and the whipped cream will be made from real cream, not a bunch of chemicals.

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I dont usually dont to much cooking but I love my turkey,ham,dressing and pumpkin pie .

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Hottmomma607
Monday!
Monday at 12:50 PM
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM
DH takes his moms stuffed bell peppers recipe&use creamy chicken broth instead of the tub of butter it calls for! We try! It taste good though!!

Quoting tayanddyl:

I don't

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I am trying to be healthier this year, but I haven't actually cooked anything for the holiday yet so we''ll see
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)