Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Help with my 6 year old...

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is 6 and recently has started becoming picky. Ive never had a picky kid before, shes started this in the last couple months. She won't try anything and even stuff shes always liked she turns down. She has not eaten supper for 3 nights, other than her veggies and maybe a couple bites of other things on her plate. I got a note from school saying shes not eating lunch most days either. I feel bad cause after we eat shes hungry but Im not giving in and making her a different meal and letting her think she can not eat supper and still get a snack. Has anyone gone through this? What she likes switches every week! Any ideas for me? Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Replies (21-25):
cara124
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

This is basicly the same advice I got from DS 11's doctor when he was around 5-6yrs old. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've had this at some time with each of my five kids.  My doctor told me that kids will not starve themselves and that they need less food than we as adults think they need.  He had me write down the food my child ate over the course of a month, then showed me that DS was getting a well rounded diet over the duration of the month, just not every day.  However, only vitamins C and B complex are the major ones that aren't stored in the body longer than a day or two, and the boy was getting those everyday.  He was okay.

Kids' tastes do change as they grow.  Your DD may also be influenced in what she chooses to eat by her peers.  Loose teeth may affect what they want to put in their mouths.

Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods and she'll be okay.

cara124
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My main advice for the OP would be to let her help with food prep. and have a few "approved" snacks in the fridge so that if she is hungry and doesn't like/want what your eating she can still have a health food choice... by approved I mean things. like fruit/veggies / PB&J / yogurt ect. .....

and they go through this one than once ....DS 11 has decided he doesn't like cheese after years of being a cheese nut ....

goddess99
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I would just be consistent, Maybe offer a couple different things in her lunch bag and at dinner, But as you're already doing, I wouldn't give in either. No dinner, no snack. Eventually she'll start eating again, she isn't going to let herself starve,

seaturtle1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I am a little different than the other moms.  I was forced to eat everything on my plate growing up.  With my son who is three we put everything on the plate.  If I know it is something he is not going to like I only put 2 bites.  He does have to eat alot of at least one food on the plate then he can still have a snack later.  I feel as long as he tried to eat dinner that is ok.  He must though have 2 bites of everything he does not like (PEAS).  If it is a meal I know he will not eat at all like my veegie soup.  I will make him a different meal.  He says the tomato base is spicy.  I also let him pick what he wants for lunch.  like today he wants tuna fish and ritz crackers.  This works for us.  If he eats only 2 bites of everything no snack.  I tell him if he is hungry eat more dinner.

aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I would make her what she wants but that's me 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)