Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Help with my 6 year old...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
  • 25 Replies

My DD is 6 and recently has started becoming picky. Ive never had a picky kid before, shes started this in the last couple months. She won't try anything and even stuff shes always liked she turns down. She has not eaten supper for 3 nights, other than her veggies and maybe a couple bites of other things on her plate. I got a note from school saying shes not eating lunch most days either. I feel bad cause after we eat shes hungry but Im not giving in and making her a different meal and letting her think she can not eat supper and still get a snack. Has anyone gone through this? What she likes switches every week! Any ideas for me? Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

have you tried letting her help with preparing meals? Sometimes when children do this, they think since they did some of the work its will be worth eating even though its the same thing you were making before.

It worked for my son. 

virginiamama71
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM

BUMP!

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

My two oldest go through stints where they will refuse certain foods.  My oldest had a week where he refused to eat any meat at all.  Has she actually told you what it is she doesn't like, or why?

JennMcBride
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM
She does help cook but not much..she's not really into it. I will see if I can't get her to want to more.

Quoting virginiamama71:

have you tried letting her help with preparing meals? Sometimes when children do this, they think since they did some of the work its will be worth eating even though its the same thing you were making before.

It worked for my son. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennMcBride
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM
It differs from week to week or even day to day. Last week it was peas and she said they were nasty ave to green. Lol.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

My two oldest go through stints where they will refuse certain foods.  My oldest had a week where he refused to eat any meat at all.  Has she actually told you what it is she doesn't like, or why?

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

In that case, I say she's trying to be independant.  Which can be hard at supper time.  Do you plan Menus?  Maybe let her pick out a meal a week that is "her choice" and see if that helps.

Quoting JennMcBride:

It differs from week to week or even day to day. Last week it was peas and she said they were nasty ave to green. Lol.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

virginiamama71
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

My son showed and has no interest in cooking but to get him out of the picky habit, I just asked if he wanted to prepare the food, look for recipes, help shop, than this made him think he was doing everything different cause he was the one picking out the foods he wanted to eat, even though it was what he was already eating, than also allow them to eat food as they like, but of of course not in unhealthy ways  for them.

It takes time, still my son at 10 gets in his picky ways.

Quoting JennMcBride:

She does help cook but not much..she's not really into it. I will see if I can't get her to want to more.

Quoting virginiamama71:

It worked for my son. 

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

abra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM
my six year old gets in trouble if she is rude. If she doesn't want the dinner we put before her, she can finish half of it, but there wont be anything else to eat later. If she says she doesn't like it or something equally rude, there are consequences. I try not to make meals often that I know my kids aren't fond of, but on some level, they arent preparing or buying the food so what is put before them, they need to be thankful for and eat.
virginiamama71
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

This was the way we were raised and it did teach us to be thankful for the food we had, but for me it did make me picky about the foods I would eat.

Quoting abra:

my six year old gets in trouble if she is rude. If she doesn't want the dinner we put before her, she can finish half of it, but there wont be anything else to eat later. If she says she doesn't like it or something equally rude, there are consequences. I try not to make meals often that I know my kids aren't fond of, but on some level, they arent preparing or buying the food so what is put before them, they need to be thankful for and eat.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

abra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM
How did it make you picky? I was spanked as a kid for misbehaving at the dinner table, as an adult I realised the reason I didnt like a lot of foods was because my mom wasnt a fantastic cook (she worked full time). Having learned how to cook well has gone a long way towards avoiding this problem woth my kids altogether. I will eat anything that has been cooked well...except eel. I tried that..blech!

Quoting virginiamama71:

This was the way we were raised and it did teach us to be thankful for the food we had, but for me it did make me picky about the foods I would eat.

Quoting abra:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)