Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Help with my 6 year old...

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is 6 and recently has started becoming picky. Ive never had a picky kid before, shes started this in the last couple months. She won't try anything and even stuff shes always liked she turns down. She has not eaten supper for 3 nights, other than her veggies and maybe a couple bites of other things on her plate. I got a note from school saying shes not eating lunch most days either. I feel bad cause after we eat shes hungry but Im not giving in and making her a different meal and letting her think she can not eat supper and still get a snack. Has anyone gone through this? What she likes switches every week! Any ideas for me? Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
virginiamama71
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

if my mother had been more creative in how she cooked the food, than i would not have been picky

Quoting abra:

How did it make you picky? I was spanked as a kid for misbehaving at the dinner table, as an adult I realised the reason I didnt like a lot of foods was because my mom wasnt a fantastic cook (she worked full time). Having learned how to cook well has gone a long way towards avoiding this problem woth my kids altogether. I will eat anything that has been cooked well...except eel. I tried that..blech!

Quoting virginiamama71:

This was the way we were raised and it did teach us to be thankful for the food we had, but for me it did make me picky about the foods I would eat.

Quoting abra:

my six year old gets in trouble if she is rude. If she doesn't want the dinner we put before her, she can finish half of it, but there wont be anything else to eat later. If she says she doesn't like it or something equally rude, there are consequences. I try not to make meals often that I know my kids aren't fond of, but on some level, they arent preparing or buying the food so what is put before them, they need to be thankful for and eat.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Love this idea ,
Ask her what she would like & see where that takes you .
Good luck & let us know how it goes :)

Quoting virginiamama71:

have you tried letting her help with preparing meals? Sometimes when children do this, they think since they did some of the work its will be worth eating even though its the same thing you were making before.

It worked for my son. 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
3 moms liked this

I've had this at some time with each of my five kids.  My doctor told me that kids will not starve themselves and that they need less food than we as adults think they need.  He had me write down the food my child ate over the course of a month, then showed me that DS was getting a well rounded diet over the duration of the month, just not every day.  However, only vitamins C and B complex are the major ones that aren't stored in the body longer than a day or two, and the boy was getting those everyday.  He was okay.

Kids' tastes do change as they grow.  Your DD may also be influenced in what she chooses to eat by her peers.  Loose teeth may affect what they want to put in their mouths.

Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods and she'll be okay.

MommyofTandE
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't giver her a snack neccessarily but try offering her something else because she does need to eat. My son went through a phase like this and kids often do. Try making whatever you are making a different way. With my son I even let him dip stuff in ketchup because he would eat it and eventually he stopped using the ketchup and just eats it now. I also didn't try to force him to eat it because i felt that would just scare him away. You can also let her help prepare the meals and maybe that might get her excited about what is being put on her plate or even let her help put it on her plate. try putting smaller portions on her plate it might be intimidating to her

virginiamama71
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

thanks for sharing this information

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've had this at some time with each of my five kids.  My doctor told me that kids will not starve themselves and that they need less food than we as adults think they need.  He had me write down the food my child ate over the course of a month, then showed me that DS was getting a well rounded diet over the duration of the month, just not every day.  However, only vitamins C and B complex are the major ones that aren't stored in the body longer than a day or two, and the boy was getting those everyday.  He was okay.

Kids' tastes do change as they grow.  Your DD may also be influenced in what she chooses to eat by her peers.  Loose teeth may affect what they want to put in their mouths.

Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods and she'll be okay.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM
My son has always been like this. you could save her dinner and offer it to her again If shes still hungry later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennMcBride
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone...I also want to say its not just healthy things shes avoiding. Tonight we had pizza and she just said Mommy I don't want that. I told her thats what we were having and since we werent at home I reminded her not to be mean. She politely told them she wasen't hungry and didn't eat anything. When we got home she drank a small glass of milk and hasen't said anything about being hungry since. I guess its just a phase were going to have to deal with.

I did my weekly meal plan tonight and she chose tacos for supper tomorrow and chicken and brocolli for supper on friday. =)

I will let everyone know how all these ideas work. Thanks again. =)

Kainalu55
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

my daughter can be that way sometimes.  she was really picky as a baby/toddler than outgrew it.  Now she's 5 and there are nights she'll hardly eat, say she's full, than an hour or so later will say she's hungry again.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Since she has stopped eating at school too, You might want to check with her pediatrician. If he says she is physically ok, the maybe a multi vitamin and just continue what you are doing. If it's just a phase, she'll get tired of being hungry. But I'd want to make sure she is not sick. Mine had a sinus infection twice with not symptoms.

Juniper53098
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Letting them pick meals really helps.  My son (who's picky and on the autism spectrum) gets to pick the meal once or twice a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN