Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Please help

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hello all I am in serious need of a little help ! Here's the skinny....
My husband and I own our own business we travel 5-20 days every month we are some what like a glorified truck driver( except we ship animals) so 98% of the time we are on the road we do NOT get to stop and have a sit down meal
We travel all over the US Canada and to the Mexico line.
Here's the problem
Since we can't stop for a decent meal I am now the DRIVE THRU queen!! I'm gaining weight and feel sluggish my husband agrees we are eating junk WAY to much

How can I avoid eat badly on the road? What are some alternatives?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Order off their fast food fit menu, most places have those. Avoid any extra salad dressings, skip the bread/buns, don't value size, go with a kids meal. Stop by a grocer and get healthy veggies trays or small bags of fruit/veggies. Pack a cooler of items from home that are good for you. Try vitamin B-12 for metabolism and stop every once in a while and walk around and do stretches. If you do the hotel scene while traveling take advantage of an indoor gym or indoor pool, or exercise in your room.

abra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
When we take road trips we just stop at grocery stores instead of fast food places. We grab some a wedge of cheese, a bagged salad, some french bread and a banana = a well rounded meal. :)
MamaMandee
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I have seen crock pots out there that you plug into the lighter, maybe check around for one of those. 

emilyrosenj
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Pack fruits and salad greens to keep in the truck...
Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I agree with all of the above!

slw123
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Pack a cooler.  Make wraps, bring cut up veggies, boiled eggs, fruit, nuts, etc. 

Bob192
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Pack lots of healthy snacks, so you don't have the urge to stop so much.

Threes.Company
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Keep a cooler in the car...  sandwiches, fruit, yogurt cups...  You can also get a small crock pot that you can plug into your car and then you can do soups or pasta dishes, etc.  Anything really!

JennMcBride
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM
This is great advice. :)

Quoting MichelleK41:

Order off their fast food fit menu, most places have those. Avoid any extra salad dressings, skip the bread/buns, don't value size, go with a kids meal. Stop by a grocer and get healthy veggies trays or small bags of fruit/veggies. Pack a cooler of items from home that are good for you. Try vitamin B-12 for metabolism and stop every once in a while and walk around and do stretches. If you do the hotel scene while traveling take advantage of an indoor gym or indoor pool, or exercise in your room.

Juniper53098
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You've gotten some great advice!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)