Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

What makes it healthy?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

When you serve a dish or cook dinner, what types of things do you look for in the ingredients to make sure it's a health meal?  What makes food healthy?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM

It has to make a significant nutrient contribution to our diet.  It cannot be detrimental to our health or cause us to lose nutrients just by eating it.   If the food has anything added as a preservative, I don't buy it.  If it has added vitamins, then it's not a nutritious food to start with, and I don't buy.  I look at sugar content and any -ose product (a sugar in hidden form.) I avoid "hydrogenated" anything and artificial sweeteners/flavors.

We eat mostly whole foods, and many of them don't even have a label for me to check ingredients.  I don't worry about cholesterol or fat from these sources since it's in a natural form and my body knows what to do with it.

Personally, I also pay attention to carbs.  I refuse to buy into the conventional thinking that we HAVE to have 160+ grams of carbs a day.  I would have to take a vial of insulin 3x daily if I ate like that!  I've changed our diet to low-carb (40 to 60 carbs a day) and my whole family does beautifully!

When cooking, I use a lot of fresh/dried herbs and spices to add flavor.  I don't use many canned products, usually just organic tomatoes/sauce or organic coconut milk.  Frozen foods rarely have to have preservatives or flavorings unless they're processed food products, and fresh just speaks for itself.

aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I don't really but look for the food groups

Heather2001
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Veggies, lean protein, healthy oils, low in salt.  The healthiest food to me is the closest to it's original form in nature.  I don't like to eat what I can't pronounce.

abra
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Raw ingredients. I avoid processed foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If it's a real food, as close to the way it came from nature, then we call it healthy.  Even bacon! 

emilyrosenj
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I try to keep food as close to it's natural state as possible but I do use processed foods on occasion.  I have so much stuff in my stockpile that even if I gave some away I would still have a bunch.

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM
  • It has to be well rounded with all food groups present.
  • I try to find lower sodium or healthy request-type ingredients if I have to use processed stuff.
  • I keep meats lean by buying either lean cuts, or trimming fat before cooking.
  • I make sure there's plenty of vegetables with each meal.

Nothing is really taboo in my house food-wise, but I do try to make most things at home.  They are generally lower calorie than anything I could buy from the grocery aisle or frozen section.  I use mostly frozen veggies in my cooking, and very rarely use canned.  Fresh is best, but I buy for 2 weeks at a time, so frozen stays better.

Juniper53098
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I try to buy as much unprocessed food as possible.  I buy very few boxed items.  I don't buy any canned items.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

We try this usually :)

Quoting aidensmomma508:

I don't really but look for the food groups

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I try to eat as lil processed foods as possible now days and learning to cook better from scratch.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)